A Windborne Traveler

Silver's PoV...

I woke up to the sound of light snoring. Looking down, I saw Lyra hugging me in her sleep. Gently, I pried her off me and got ready for today. Walking downstairs, I scarfed down some breakfast and gave Sam an acknowledging nod.

"Mornin' Sam. Everyone ready to roll?"

"Just about. We need a few more hours before we're ready to depart."

Throwing on my coat, I made for the door. "Got that. I'm gonna head on down first, prep the traders to get cleaned out. You know how it is." My staff and I shared a hearty laugh before I stepped out into the cold once more.

Looking around, I noticed how the snow had covered up all the footprints from yesterday like they didn't even exist. Letting out a sigh, I watched as my breath formed tiny droplets of water that were carried away upon the wind before I made my way down the mountain, sword clinking at my hip.

Once I was a comfortable distance from the Roost, I cupped my hands to my mouth and let out a shrill whistle that pierced the morning wind. I held the tune for several seconds before letting it die down and just as I was beginning to look up, Ginda slammed down before me, kicking all the snow around her high into the sky.

Letting out a chuckle, I brushed myself off and began to scratch her scales, my lips letting draconic slip just as easily as it did common. "How've you been, sister?"

"Wonderful. I was getting anxious about when our next flight would be."

I smiled as I climbed upon her back, absentmindedly running my hand over the emerald gem affixed to her neck by a black necklace. "As was I. Come now, I've gotta warn the traders about their imminent clean-out."

The two of us chuckled as Ginda took to the skies, the flap of her wings making hardly a sound. We drifted upon the winds for some time, enjoying the time we had together before the black dragon started angling her wings down, taking us into a shallow dive.

"I'm sorry, but I smell Dvalin on the wind. It isn't--"

I cut her off. "Don't worry, sister, I smell him too. C'mon, let's-- wait..." I let my words trail off as a blue beacon of light shot into the sky. "Ginda, take us as close to Starfell Lake as you can, something's going on down there."

"I'll try, but you do--"

"I know. Dvalin. Just get as close as you can and I'll walk the rest. Please. You know what this means to me."

Ginda just let out a sigh before molding the wind around us, masking our presence from the world. She managed to get half-way over the Whispering Woods before making a bee-line for the ground.

"He's here!"

Gritting my teeth, I hopped off Ginda's back. "Hide, now! I'll... I'll see--" I was cut off as Dvalin let out a roar and took to the skies with a burst of violent wind.

Climbing up a near-by tree, I lept through the forest and stopped as my eyes fell upon a golden-haired girl, dressed in exotic white clothing, and a strange, small, floating child by her side. They were standing before a strange red gem. I listened closely to their conversation.

The strange child held her chin as the two of them gazed at the gem. "Paimon's never seen a stone like this before, so Paimon can't tell what it is. All Paimon knows is that it's dangerous. Best we put it away for now." The golden-haired girl grabbed it and tucked it away while giving her travel companion a nod. "Okay, we've got it! Now let's get out of here."

"We head south from here, right Paimon?" The girl looked up at the floating child, who was apparently called Paimon. Weird how the child talks about herself in the third person, but then again, I was raised by dragons, so I'm not one to talk.