XVII

You opened your eyelids, but your mind was blank and blinked few times to adjust your eyes. It was bright and by instinct, you brought a hand up to shield your eyes.

"Finally awake?" A monotonous voice rang out.

You grunted and propped yourself up with one arm. Looking around with heavy eyelids.

"I'm unconscious." You uttered, the only coherent thought forming in your head as you took in your surroundings.

"That you are." Your demon replied matter of factly and you brought your gaze to him. He had his back turned against you, peering into the distance of nothingness.

You felt the cogs in your mind starting to turn again and understood the context of what was going on.

"Am I dead?"

Your demon finally turned his head around enough to meet your eyes.

"Not yet. But you will be soon." He paused. "All your organs were crushed and your body sustained consequential damage."

"Ah," was all you uttered, trying to process his words.

Then you chuckled dryly.

All that talk about saving everyone and I ended up dying. How funny.

Your demon gazed at you curiously yet amusingly before turning around and making his way towards you. He knelt down beside you and rested his chin on his palms.

"Aren't you afraid?" He asked with a queer smile.

Looking down at your palms, you pondered his question.

"I guess so. " you began, speaking slowly, "but I don't feel any pain right now, so I suppose I shouldn't complain about that." You finished matter of factly.

Your demon hummed, seemingly satisfied by your answer.

You peered up at him.

"Aren't you going to take over my body?"

He thinks for a moment with a thoughtful expression.

"Do you want me to?"

"No. What kind of dumb question is that?"

"You're the one that asked the dumb question first."

You ignored him and changed the subject.

"Is Shinya alive?"

Your demon nodded.

"Then I don't care if I die here." You smiled softly as you felt the relief from the knowledge that Shinya was alive.

"Thank you, (demon name)."

Your demon continued to watch you with curiosity.

"What a peculiar human." He remarked.

Even on deaths door, you strangely felt calm.

If you could protect the one you loved from dying, that was all that mattered to you.

You chuckled dryly at that thought, feeling  somewhat out of character.

Until now, the thought of losing him in battle has never occurred to you, yet when the time came, your mind didn't need to think about the possibilities of what you'd do. The answer was obvious.

You did feel a little disappointed at the idea that you'd never be able to feel his embrace again and that you weren't able to spend more time with him.

Mustering your last bit of hope, you opened your mouth to speak.

"Is there a way you can save me?" You asked.

Upon hearing this, your demon gave you a side eye.

"You brought this on yourself knowing the consequences. I can't do anything to help you at this point." He spoke candidly. "Are you going to continue to rely on me to save you all the time?"

You only nodded, already accepting your fate. If death was what awaited you, then you had no other choice but to embrace it. Plus, you already had enough of this war. 

"I suppose not." You conceded without another thought.

It didn't bother you how brutally honest your demon was. The two of you worked well as a team, but he was apathetic for the most part. He was a wise demon that usually acted on your well-being despite an indifferent attitude. He also openly declared that he would obey you simply because you were an 'interesting human' that sparked his curiosity.

The two of you kept silent after that and you closed your eyes, feeling the faint wind blow past your face and the sound of the vast emptiness of your consciousness.  Your body felt unusually relaxed, the most relaxed you had ever felt. In fact, you could hardly feel a thing besides the soft wind.

The space was so quiet that your steady heartbeat was the loudest sound present.

It was astonishingly peaceful.

Perhaps this was the last moment you got to feel your heartbeat.

Your mind began to drift and you laid down gently but comfortably.

How nice. You thought.

There was no one here to bother you or hurt you in this space of just you and nothingness. Just your consciousness and nothing more.

Your eyelids, which suddenly felt heavy fluttered shut and your consciousness began to slip away as you felt the hand of your demon running soft strokes through your hair.