chapter one. stupid barbeque

4x1 Bringing up Baby

Athena was a bad person to share a bed with, something she had been told since her first ever sleepover, she was a kicker. Faling asleep next to her meant waking up with bruises, it was something that made her leave every bed she was ever going to fall asleep in but the night before, she couldn't keep her eyes open and now she woke up in an unknown bed, there is no one beside her. Whoever she must have shared a bed with must have grown tired of her kicking. She kicks the covers off her body and pulls herself off the bed. She was still wearing the same dress from the night before. Whoever's bed she had woken up in probably wouldn't mind if she borrowed a shirt, a pair of shorts and socks. Her head was pounding as she made her way down the stairs, slowly recognizing the house. 

 She walked into the kitchen and was greeted with three women looking at her. "Good morning Ms. Dunphy, Haley and uh-" She stopped as she looked over at the girl with the glasses whose name was on the tip of her tongue. "Alex." Athena nodded, mostly to herself. "Good morning, Alex." She smiled as Haley pats a spot down beside her. "Hello Athena," Mrs. Dunphy spoke as Athena smiled at the older woman, brushing her hair out of her face. "I thought you went to a boarding school," Claire looked over at Athena as she filled a cup with coffee for her. "I did but my friends and I decided to come to check the old school," Athena explained, not mentioning just how drunk they were when she felt nostalgia ache in her chest, it only had one cure and for some reason that was going back to the place she was kicked out of in the tenth grade.

"Speaking of. I need to call my friend, Jace, he'll come get me." Athena thanked the one and picked up the coffee mug as she drank it without sugar or milk. She took her phone and started dialing her friend's number. After telling him to come to pick her up and sending him the address the girl went back to enjoying her coffee and nursing her hangover. "Do you wanna come to my grandfather's house today? We're having a stupid barbeque," Haley said looking at Athena, the two speaking for the first time that morning. "Can I bring my stupid friends?" Athena questioned, small smile on her lips as Haley laughed, nodding her head. "Text me the details," Athena finished her drink and they hear a honk from outside. Asshole couldn't even bother to make the walk to the door.

"It's probably Jace. I'll see you guys later," Athena looked over at the other women as the family waved her goodbye before she walked to the door with Haley. "When I come over, we should talk about whatever happened last night." Athena watched as Haley played with her fingers, she hadn't seen the girl in a long time, they were buddies went they went to the same school, and Athena didn't know Haley to be the nervous kind. "It was nice seeing you again, Athena, even if I can't remember what happened." Haley laughed and Athena took a step closer to her. Now there was only a small space between them, "Later, Dunphy." She pecked Haley's cheek and was out of the door, running up to where Jace's car was.

"Let's go," Jace said as he pushed up his dark sunglasses when she approached his car. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," Athena said closing the door behind her, a cheeky grin on her smile as she shut the car door behind her. "Well, at least I woke up in my own bed."