𝒊𝒊𝒊. ‧₊˚╱ 𝗉𝗅𝖺𝗀𝗂𝖺𝗋𝗂𝗌𝗆 𝗏𝗌. 𝗂𝗇𝗌𝗉𝗂𝗋𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇.

▬▬▬ 魔术店 ,PLG

▬▬▬ 魔术店 ,
PLG. vs. INS. !
miscellaneous

     Hello, people! Today's chapter is going to be about plagiarism vs. inspiration. There's still a lot of people who don't know the difference between these two words and I will be explaining them, going in-depth with the topic because it's not educated enough for writers, especially for new beginners.

     Let's get started, shall we?

PLAGIARISM

     Plagiarism means taking or presenting someone else's work and claiming it as your own. It doesn't necessarily mean word-for-word or nearly word-for-word, but also ideas or plots, and so on. We are not talking about the same ideas or plotlines you find in stories, but rather how an author creates their story in a way that's original. Forming an aesthetic layout, for example, has been a popular thing nowadays.

INSPIRATION

     Inspiration according to Google, is a mental stimulus through the process to do or feel something, especially when it comes to doing something creative. In this case, it means when someone sees or hears something that makes them want to create new ideas. There's nothing wrong with feeling inspired. We all feel inspired by things and ideas almost all the time, and putting them into writing is very common. If you want to create something based on something that you saw or were inspired by an idea, you have the power to create something original by using your own skills, effort, and judgment.

WHEN DOES IT BECOME AN ISSUE?

     It becomes an issue when someone takes a brilliant idea or a piece of work without crediting the original owner. A common error people get themselves into is that when they see a layout for example, (since most of my readers and followers are in this type of field) is that they twist it around for a little bit, change a few words, and has minor changes when in reality it hasn't really been put on much effort. And this becomes an issue because not only did you take something, but you also didn't put your own ideas and work on it. Asking for permission to use a layout is another thing, but if you took a layout as your starting point by adding a few features here and there and not list your source of inspiration, then you're not original.

     Before you come and attack me, I can be 100% honest that I've fallen into that trap in the past, a lot, and I'm not even ashamed of it because it made me learn a lot about my mistakes. I'm guilty, yes. I was immature and didn't do the job properly, but it made me more conscious about creating my own work and I also learned about the line between inspiration and plagiarism.

     It's also important to address that not many people are aware of this. During my journey with layout creation and contents, I've noticed similar responses when I talk to them regarding credit issues. They often get flustered and feel extremely bad since it wasn't their intention to do so. And that's okay! If it happens, it happens and it can't be undone. The important thing is that you accept and learn from it. And if you're unsure to give the credits, talk to the owner(s) you are taking inspiration from, they would love to help you out and make sure that you're crediting their work(s) respectively.

     Instead of confronting and bashing people when someone is accused of plagiarism (which is a normal impulse to act on) kindly and calmly contact them and talk about it because explaining the issue is more helpful than sending hate comments, guys. We're supposed to educate people and learn from the mistakes.

     This chapter was inspired by an article from Vanseo Design and Medium, as well as an article from the website Christopher Fielden, a chapter from How to Write Fanfiction published by Fanfic on Wattpad and UK Copyright Law. Credits reserved for them, but I have added my own words and rephrased portions of the articles.

     If you have questions or anything regarding this topic, send me a message or comment on this chapter and I'll try my best to help you out. I swear I won't bite!

I hope this was helpful! ♡

© 𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐅𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐒

© 𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐅𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐒