Chapter Fourteen

Pierce's P.O.V

Kenzie and Tristan were both surprised at my absence the other night. I did not arrive back into our quarters until late morning and it did not go unnoticed. I knew it would be like that, but I couldn't possibly leave my emotionally compromised mate at daybreak. Though, he didn't express it outwardly I knew he wanted me to stay.

I tap my fingers lightly on the oak table splattered with golds and maroons. My eyes stay on the table as I feel their curious glances at my now growing worried face. I haven't seen him since he woke up and saw me about to leave. He was reluctant to see me go, but I know he thought better of it to not bother to ask me. As much as I wanted to stay. . . I was already past due on my shift to be with Isaac.

My lips part to let out a deep sigh which causes Kenzie to whistle and walk over to me. "You seem worried."

"I'm not." I say abruptly and eye her with a 'knock it off expression'. Tristan soon comes over and decides to sit on one of the sides of the table and grab an apple out of the wicker basket. "Unless you're speaking of Isaac that is. I'm more than worried about him. He's been drinking since we got here and today is the day of the feast."

"He's fine. No hangover. He's lucid." Tristan dully notes while biting into the fruit. Kenzie flashes Tristan a look and he just continues to stare into nothing as he rubs his neck tenderly. She goes on to sit down blocking him from my view for a moment.

"Seems like we all seemed to have interesting nights of late." I give them each a knowing look causing Tristan to blush and Kenzie to bite down on her lip suppressing a smile. They must have been with some Northerners despite me telling them to watch over Isaac. Having random Enforcers around him isn't going to keep him safe.

"You said I was reprieved of duty." I shrug my shoulders and begin to shake my head. Honestly, I cannot say anything. I was with a Northerner and if the circumstances seemed doable I would have done what Tristan had done and made it a grand night. The hickies spotting his neck only wrapped up the assumptions I already had.

"I didn't do anything with anyone to that extent." He interjects causing both Kenzie and I to break out into grins. "They're Northerners! We cannot mix with the likes of them." Tristan goes on to shout with a deeper blush coming onto his face.

"Yah? Well, I almost got laid last night~" Kenzie adds in with absolutely no shame causing his mouth to drop and me to break out into a full laugh.

"Goddess, keep that to yourself. I want to hear no more of that." The laughter begins to die down as soon as we feel Isaac's presence near the doorway. We instantly get up to bow.

"Alpha."

"Alpha."

"Alpha." We all say in unison with our hands across our hearts.

"So glad to see you all in high spirits today." I pick up an edge in his voice that hasn't been present since the day he found out about the death of his father. We continue to keep our heads lowered as he enters the room and sits down.

"The games cease today." His Alpha commands make their late appearance causing all of our eyes to widen with surprise. "Today is the day where we will make our selves clear of who we are and who they are going up against if they choose to begin a war with us again." My stance instantly becomes rigid and tense at this.

Instead of waiting on his command I lift my head up and eye him with a wavering expression. He was a drunkard for the past month and half! Where did this new sentiment of change and ideology come from?

"Isaac, what do you mean by that? We are here for a-"

"Nonsense. I wouldn't have come just to partake in cellabratories of an engagement I could care less about. I came here to demand justice. We all did." I look towards Kenzie and Tristan and see them just as tense as I am. He never once talked to me about his plans.