Chapter 27 - Hermione

Draco looked like he had been plucked from an ad in Witch Weekly. Every stitch perfectly tailored to his swimmer's body. Not one string out of place from the line of his collar to the points of his black suede dress shoes. The only disruption of color was the emeralds fastening his cuffs and the flash of exposed ankle.

Wearing all black didn't make Draco look severe. It made him look like a secret. Like a shadow. Like just the right amount of trouble.

Being part of his world still felt surreal. Sizing garments and priceless necklaces. Hermione lifted a hand to her throat—fingers brushing the diamonds draped around her neck. Draco would have just given them to her.

"Don't tell me you two are gonna start making out again," Amira complained loudly before she downed yet another shot. "If I have to watch any more ooey-gooey google eyes, I'm going to throw up."

Heat flooded Hermione's cheeks. Had they really been acting that affectionate? Perhaps so. Something about the colored fog and the champagne had Hermione acting bolder than she normally would.

Draco had looked on from a nearby table as she danced with Viktor, Dean Thomas, and even Halvard— politely declining Amira's repeated requests for a dance. He sat sipping butterbeer while he waited. The moment she had finished dancing, Draco would whisk her away into a quiet corner of the tent for a stolen moment.

"You have no idea how hard it is to watch you in another man's arms," Draco had breathed in between kisses. "It's worse than torture."

Hermione took his face between her palms. "If it makes you so upset, I don't have to dance with anyone else. You're the best dancer here anyways."

"No," Draco replied. Mouth pulled in a hard line. "I need practice not being in control of every situation. I need to learn how to trust other people. It's just—hard."

"Oh really?" Hermione dropped a kiss on his jaw. "Maybe we can practice this whole not being in control thing later tonight."

The flash of surprise and hunger in his eyes lead to a bit of kissing that lasted until Amira had torn them apart and shoved a drink in their hands.

"It's not snogging that'll make you throw up," Draco was saying when Hermione snapped out of the reverie. "It's the number of shots you've done. Halvard, don't you think Amira's had enough?"

Halvard, who was leaning against Amira like a crooked building gave a shrug. "Nope."

"Draco," Hermione said quickly. Tugging on his hand. "Take me out on the floor. I fancy another dance."

The grin she received from him was naughtiness dipped in pleasure. Draco's hands were on her waist, following behind as they found an open spot.

"For years I'd wondered what it was about you that was so attractive. Now I know what it is."

Hermione set her hand on his muscled chest. "Care to share?"

"You have the ability to surprise me. Over and over again. In all the best ways. You're like a present I can't wait to unwrap every morning, and again each night."

Hermione couldn't help the smile pressed into her lips, nor the sudden swell of tears in her eyes. It was the sweetest thing he'd ever said to her.

It reminded her of the conversations she had with her mother all those years ago. Draco Malfoy had teased her because he liked her.

Had she been born a pureblood witch or Draco from Muggles, maybe their relationship would have blossomed a long time ago.

At least they had a chance to love each other now.