𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞

The Omen Girl started as Rogue One fanfiction, believe it or not.

2016, I believe. (Only 4 years? Yet it feels like it's been 84 years....)

After a series of life upheavals led me to tear the whole thing from the online sphere, and after healing from those upheavals, I slowly but surely started sculpting the piece into an original work. 

And then, dun dun! 

A social cataclysm.

Oh, the drama: online feuds, blocked and deleted friendships, dense paragraphs of vitriol over discord, betrayals and the wagging of tongues, greedy to swallow everything up. My world went up in flames.

Long story short, a lot happened. 

And for the first time in my life, I was forced to come face to face with an ugly reality.

Not that the world and the people around me were ugly. No.

That I was ugly.

The Esp of this story is actually based on someone from this time in my life, and a lot of the things Esp says in this book are very real things that were said to me. The words cut, of course. But the reason they cut is because I knew, deep down, that they were true. And faced with the mess I'd created from the mistakes I'd made, I ran to a friend for comfort.

And the things they told me were the things Pea told Sozo at the cell.  

At the time, it made me realize that ah, this is why people end their lives.

(What point is there to living, after all, when you realize you're unlovely, and unlovable?)

I dedicated this book to the ones that started the fires, because the truths I experienced with them is what brought me to my knees. I dedicated this book to the ones that put out the fires, because I wouldn't have been able to stand back up without them.

To the one who stayed, to the Naqi of my life who saw my blemishes and loved me anyways, to the scorching hope of the gospels and the God who stayed — it's for You, all of it.

Without Your ahavah, I would have stayed an Omen.

Thank you for journeying through this story. I hope for you your own Naqi, and I hope my experiences help you see that the unlovely can be loved, that the hopeless can find hope. 

If this story moved you at all, would you spread this book? Here, and on Goodreads as well?

Shout-outs on Wattpad and reviews on Goodreads will really help get the ball rolling. And you're the only one with the power to do it.

Thank you. A thousand thank you's. 

Lots of socially-distanced kisses,
GRENDEL