Chapter Five - "The Alternative"

"We have to narrow it down," Gabriel Agreste paces back and forth in his atelier, "I've been using these worthless akumas that can't do anything against Ladybug and Chat Noir for far too long. The only way to get the Miraculous is to take them from the holders ourselves."

"We've tried that already. Even you and I can't get close to them while they're transformed," Natalie states matter-of-factly.

He makes a motion as if crushing his enemy's head within his fist, "What I mean is that we need to take them while they're not transformed."

"Obviously, sir, but we've been trying this for how long now? There's no trace as to their true identities."

"Then we must make one, Natalie," He spits out, "They are children. Tiny, insignificant children who I could crush under my heel in a single attempt if they didn't have magical powers. We have to find who they are behind the masks."

  "They very well might not be children anymore; it's been almost four years," Natalie clears her throat, trying to remain respectful, "But how do you propose we do it this time?"

  Gabriel gives her a menacing smile, "I have a plan."

~ ~ ~

  "Someone is rather blushy today," Alya points out at school the next day, "So sparring with Adrien went pretty well, huh?"

  Marinette slaps her hands over her cheeks, "I am not blushy! And I never told you we were doing that, how did you find out?"

  "Oh honey, nobody had to tell me; I orchestrated the whole thing."

  "You did what?!"

  "With a little help from Nino, of course," Alya glances at her friend, taking in her baffled face, "Come on, don't act so surprised!"

  "But Adrien is the one who approached me."

  "With a big push from Nino, who had an even bigger push from me," She winks, "I figured something was up with your boyfriend the first day he showed up with a bandaged arm, so I had to leap at the opportunity."

  "He's not my boyfriend."

  "But he might be if you keep spending time together and touching each other," Alya pokes Marinette in the ribs, getting her point across.

  "It's not like that," She wants to hide her face in her shirt like a turtle, "We don't even think about it while we're fighting."

  "Oh, so you know what he thinks now? Are you absolutely sure he doesn't find you positively ravishing as you're kicking his butt, Ms. Black Belt?"

  "My gosh, Alya, spare me," She puts her hands over her face again.

  Alya giggles, "I'm just saying, it's about time he noticed you."

  Marinette quickly butts in, "I'm his friend, he's always noticed me, just not in that way. And that hasn't changed."

  "I wouldn't be so sure about that," Alya whispers, causing Marinette to look to the front of the class where Adrien is: freshly showered and making unbroken eye contact with her. He gives a small wave in her direction before sitting down with Nino close behind.

  Marinette leans far over her desk and smacks Nino in the back of the head. When he turns to look at her (rather confused), she gives him a you know what you did face. He points to Alya in return, trying to slack off responsibility for his "crime," before turning back around.

  "I can't believe you two," Marinette huffs, crossing her arms.

  Alya laughs again, "I think the words you're looking for are thank you."