Chapter 12

Indi's P.O.V. - 30th of March 2021 (a week and a half later)

I sit in my Politics and Law class staring at the wall, school is so remarkably boring when you have something to look forward to.

Ruel and I only had one short (but somewhat stressful) week of dating before he had to leave for a music festival in Western Australia. He wasn't even overseas, but he felt so far away. The festival was a few days ago, and he gets back tonight. All I've been thinking about is seeing him again, but its only 2:30 pm and his flight lands at 6. A notification from him pops up in the corner of my laptop screen, and I open it to find a series of DM's I've missed on Instagram.

"What do you think about going public today?" - oneruel, 2:25 pm

"I know I said two months, but this show was tiring and I could use a win." - oneruel, 2:27 pm

"It's not going to be anything big, we'll just go out in public together and make sure some fans take some photos. If and when they start speculating in a few days, we can confirm it." - oneruel, 2:27 pm

"Duuude, reply. I know you're at school but I gotta plan this if you say yes, never done this before... Please :)" - oneruel, 2:30 pm

The idea that he wants everyone to know about me makes me ecstatic, and I struggle to contain myself. I quickly type whatever I'm thinking without even re-reading it.

"Absolutely! What do you want to do? We can just go shopping." - indiderosario03, 2:30 pm

His reply is as hasty as mine.

"Yeah, and we'll get something to eat too. What time does school finish?" - oneruel, 2:31 pm

"School finishes at 3, but I'll only get home at 4 because I'm catching the bus. Can I pick you up from the airport at 6?" - indiderosario03, 2:32 pm

There's a moment between him seeing my message and replying to it that gives me an odd feeling. He would want me to pick him up from the airport, right?

"Sure. I'll see you then x" - oneruel, 2:34 pm

The 'x' at the end makes me melt, and the odd feeling goes away.

"Can't wait x" - indiderosario03, 2:34 pm

*****

When the school bell relieves me from last period, I sigh deeply. No studio work tonight, just Ruel. The only time we had together after our dinner date was in the studio, and things are heating up. We have a deadline of April 30th to meet for the release, and that includes after editing. Luckily I'm starting school holidays tomorrow and we have can record every day for the next few weeks, or we wouldn't get it done in time.

I walk to my locker to put my books away and get my bag. A few lockers down, Callum opens his locker too. "You doing much tonight?" He asks lightly.

"Ruel gets home at 6, so I'm going to pick him up from the airport. You?"

He turns to me with an awkward smile. "Don't kill me."

"What's going on now, Cal."

"I'm going on a date... with Adam,"

"Really? I don't need this stress right now."

"Yes really!" Callum exclaims. "Do you know how hard it is to find nice gay guys? Very! And Adam is nice, also gay, or maybe bi, he's never specified. Please just let me have this!" His face is so desperate that I can't help giving in.

"I swear to God, if you ever tell me any gross details of whatever is going on between you, I will never speak to you again." I don't need to know any of that.

"It's not like that!" I reply to him with a suggestive look. "Ok, well if that happens, you won't hear about it."

I finish getting my books and close my locker at the same time as him. We walk down to the car park, and I turn to say goodbye to him before reaching the end. Behind Cal, the grassy waiting area is teeming with students like always, and they stand in huddles, talking to each other before they're picked up. It's normal for a school day, but it feels like everyone is staring at me, even if they aren't. I focus on Cal instead. "I have to catch the bus, my car finally died on me last night. I'm sure I'll see you at home later."

Callum starts to respond, but then looks behind me and starts laughing. "Oh my God, Indi. I don't think you're catching the bus." He points in the direction of the drop-off area. I turn to look quickly, what the hell could he be laughing at?

Ignore my earlier statement, everyone was staring at me, or maybe just at him. Ruel is here, I don't know how he got back in time to be here, but he is. Standing confidently next to Ruby, which is what we decided to call the car he got me. Slumped against the side of the car, the light comes from behind him, making him look almost angelic. God, I think I do love him. He lifts one hand up in a sort of greeting, teenage girls are staring and taking photos of him. So this is what he meant by going public today... I think to myself. Get it together, those girls are about to take the photos that will dictate how millions of fans will perceive you.

"How's my hair?" I ask Callum, I can't bring myself to look him in the eye.

He's still laughing, and only replies, "That's what you're most worried about right now?" I tuck some baby hairs behind my ears and straighten my posture, ready to make a statement.

"I'll see you later," I whisper to Cal, and walk down to where Ruel's parked, trying to mirror his confidence. "You're back early," Is all I say as I walk the last few steps.

"Surprise!" He wraps his arms around my neck and the cocky demeanour slips away for a few moments. "I missed you," He whispers into my ear as I snake my arms around his waist.

"I missed you too..." I pull away to look at him, but I grab onto both his hands for support. "Is everyone staring?" I ask, trying to make it look like a normal conversation to the onlookers.

"Not everyone," He looks up to scope out the audience we've gained. "But everyone is going to know by tonight, seeing how many phones are pointed towards us." He looks down at me again.

"I'm terrified." Is all I can say to him.

He brings my hands up to his lips and kisses them, "I promise, it'll be ok." He doesn't stop staring at me, and we stand with our eyes locked for a few seconds. "Smile for me?" He asks.

"What?" I giggle.

"I wanted to see your smile!" He starts to giggle as well. "Let's go before any of them has the courage to ask for a photo."

All I can do is laugh. "Ok, let's go then! Where are we going?"

"Home. I need to unpack, and then we can go get dinner? Maybe go to the beach..." He opens the passenger side door for me. "And I am going to drive you around today."

"Oh really?" I ask. It takes all my might, but I manage to gracefully slide into the car. Funny what you can achieve when everyone's watching. Ruel shuts the door and jogs around to his side of the car, Now that I'm facing all the other students, I notice just how many cameras there are. "You deal with this all the time?" I ask him before he starts the car.

"Yep, there's not much I can do about it though," Is all he says. We sit there in silence for a few more seconds before he starts the car and drives out of the car park.

The familiar feeling of wind rushing over my head makes me feel safe and happy. My whole life feels like a teen movie, and this is the happy ending. Yeah, we have our worries, like the song, and how the fans will react, and every other problem that comes with dating a music phenomenon, but for a little while I think we can just be happy together. Just like this moment.