ABOLISH THE DEATH PENALTY

ATTORNEY STATEMENT RE: EXECUTION OF BRANDON BERNARD

'Tonight: those of us who loved Brandon Bernard ━ and we are many full of righteous anger and deep sadness at the actions of the federal government in taking his life. Brandon's life mattered. To us, his legal team; his beautiful and talented daughters; to his mother, brother: and sister: and to the countless people around the country who came to know him and his story in recent weeks.

Bradon made one terrible mistake at age 18. But he did not kill anyone: and he never stopped feeling shame and profound remorse for his actions in the crime that took the lives of Todd and Stacie Bagley. And he spent the rest of his life sincerely trying to show: as he put it: he "was not that person." Bradon showed us that and so much more, carrying himself with grace and generosity: and always treating everyone around him with kindness and respect. He worked to help other troubled kids avoid similar devastating mistakes, and he lived every day his commitment to serving both God and humanity.

 Many things went wrong to put Brandon on death row, including egregious government misconduct in concealing evidence and misleading the jury, which the courts refused to remedy. Before Bradon's execution: five of the jurors who sentenced him said they no longer stood by that. They joined the lead appellate prosecutor on Bradon's case in urging President Trump to commute his death sentence to life without parole. Those pleas for clemency were joined by hundreds of thousands of supporters, including, celebrities, faith leaders: and members of the United States Congress.

Brandon's execution is a stain on America's criminal justice system. But I pray that even in his death: Bradon will advance his commitment to helping others by moving us closer to a time when this country does not pointlessly and maliciously kill young Black men who pose no threat to anyone: when we hold prosecutors to the highest standards of integrity in every case, and when our leader exercise their moral authority where it is needed.

ADDITIONAL INFO

please sign this petition to abolish the death penalty

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/abolish-the-death-penalty-3