Chapter 4

When they had left for training at sunhigh, Pineclaw had led the way out of camp. Now, Rosepaw was leading the way back in, dragging along a huge mouse and holding a pigeon beneath her chin.

She caught sight of her sister racing over to her. "Oh, wow!" Dawnpaw exclaimed. "Rosepaw, that's an amazing catch!"

Flicking her tail delightedly, Rosepaw managed a nod of acknowledgement. Great StarClan, this mouse is heavy! And the pigeon doesn't help much, either!

"She's right." Rosepaw recognized the voice of Patchflower, her mother. "You did splendidly on your first day. Be sure to tell your father all about it when he gets back from his patrol; he'll be so proud of you!"

"Come on," Pineclaw meowed, "let's unload your catch at the prey pile. You look like you're about to fall over!"

I just might, Rosepaw replied silently as she stumbled after her mentor.

"This mouse will certainly go to the elders," Pineclaw mewed. "It looks like enough to feed all three of them. The pigeon is yours if you want it. You'll learn soon enough that prey just tastes better when it's your kill!"

Rosepaw purred. "I think I'll have it, then," she responded. "Thanks, Pineclaw!"

Her mentor nodded and padded away. But was that admiration she had seen in his eyes? Surely he couldn't be that impressed. Any apprentice could've caught what I did.

Shaking her head, Rosepaw snatched up the pigeon and glanced around, looking for Dawnpaw. She wanted to share her first catch with her littermate.

She felt a stab of disappointment when Dawnpaw was nowhere to be seen. She was out here just a few moments ago. Is she really that busy with Grayleaf? She recalled her promise to her sister that she would bring her first catch straight to her, saddened that she wouldn't get to fulfill it.

Then she reminded herself that Dawnpaw had dozens of different herbs to learn, as part of being a medicine cat. There probably weren't many breaks during the day, when she had so much to learn. Still, I wish she was here to eat with me, at least.

"Rosepaw, you okay?"

Rosepaw spun around to see Nightpaw, who was gazing at her with concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?" he repeated. "You look a bit lost."

She shook her head, dropping the pigeon. "I'm fine," she replied. "I just hoped that Dawnpaw would stay long enough to eat with me."

Nightpaw blinked sympathetically. "You wanted to share your first catch with your sister."

"Exactly."

"I'm sorry. I may not have any littermates, but I know how important that would've been to you."

"Yeah. It's okay, though." Glancing at the pigeon, she added, "Do you want to share with me instead?"

Nightpaw's eyes brightened. "Sure!"

The two apprentices crouched on either side of the pigeon and began to pluck away its feathers with their teeth.

Nightpaw spat out a feather. "I'll take these to the nursery later," he mewed. "They'll make good lining for the queens' nests."

"Good idea," Rosepaw mumbled around her own mouthful of feathers. "Rainfoot's kits are due soon, aren't they?" As a kit, Patchflower had told her not to bother Rainfoot because she was expecting kits. Rosepaw hadn't spoken much to the dappled gray queen as a result, but she knew she was going to be a good, gentle mother to her unborn kits.

Nightpaw nodded. "I'm so excited to see them when they're born!" he purred. "New kits always bring joy to the Clan."

Suddenly curious, Rosepaw asked, "What was it like when my sister and I were born? You were an apprentice by then, right?"