The Promise

Donovan and Hailey had been best friends since they were little. From ponds to pondering life, they had been practically inseparable. They each felt a deep connection for the other, but for Donovan that connection became the seeds for the love that grew for her. He had come to have a crush on her, but never knew how to tell her, so he kept his love a secret locked away in the foremost part of his heart. Forever yearning for her to reciprocate his feelings, and sadly to no avail, he never dated. Spending his time either hanging out with her, writing music, or working out keeping his muscular figure in shape.

For Hailey, that deep connection had also sprouted the roots of love she had never known before. She felt so deeply for Donovan, that she had turned away all pursuers of her voluptuous curves and toned body. Though it's true she never expressed these feelings for him, she had longed for the day that he would express his love. She had dreamed of days jumping into his arms and being greeted by a soft gentle kiss, or lazy pajama days snuggled in his embrace. She would never speak, nor he, on the way they felt but, an unspoken love had blossomed between them.

The two were walking home one day after school on a warm July afternoon. They had lived in New York their entire lives, but walking through the city always had excitement for them. "Hey! Look! It's that guy from the other day,  the one who does the robot" Hailey had said as they were walking down the sidewalk her ebony skin swallowing the sun. "Yeah, he's usually on Main Street, but I guess he's looking for new revenue sources" Donovan says rubbing his fingers together his blonde curly hair dancing as the wind twirls through it.
Hailey jumps in front of him making a pouty face.

"Oh no, you are not getting me like again, come on Ducky, not again" Donovan says to her, she smirks at him; "But you dance so well, and I think he likes the competition" she says to him. She grabs his wrist and pulls him as she runs toward the metallic painted man.
He sighs heavily as he is dragged down the sidewalk, as much as he didn't want to, he knew he couldn't say no to her. As she comes to stop, her light brown curls bounce with life. She coerced Donovan to dance with the robot man, they drew in a big crowd which earned the man a good amount of money.

Afterwards they continued on their way home, talking and walking through New York,  and it's towering buildings. "So Bryce, he asked me out today" Hailey says lowly  walking alongside Donovan, Donovan slightly shutters on the inside at that statement. "Did he now? Good ole Bryce, I've always liked him, great guy" he says sarcastically, he and Bryce had fought a couple of times, generating a sort of resentment towards them. "Oh yeah? Well I'm glad you feel that way I said yes" she says smugly looking at him from the corner of her eye. "What! Please tell me this is a joke Ducky , why that guy? My mortal enemy in all of creation" Donovan says to her frustratedly, his ivory skin reflecting the setting sun. Hailey hugs him, his cologne smooth and musky, she knew he was bluffing, even if he tried to hide it. "I would never, I hate that guy" she says to him.

Donovan sighs with relief as he rests his chin atop her head, her soft hair caressing it. "Hey, promise me something" she says to him softly as they break from each other and continue walking. "Sure, anything" he says to her, putting his hands in his jacket pocket. Hailey takes a deep breath, "promise me that no matter what, and I mean no matter what, we will always be close, I know it sounds silly but, we're going to college soon, and you have been the only constant thing in my life, everyone, and everything has changed, except you" she says looking up at him tears welling up in her hazel eyes.

Donovan had heard her plea, he blushed at her statement; "yeah, well, I don't want to change anyway, evolution is for chimps and simps anyway" he says jokingly. He gazed into her eyes one more time noticing the seriousness, as a tear trotted down her cheek. "Damn Ducky, don't cry, look, I promise okay, let's put it in the vault" he says to her holding his pinky out. She wraps her pinky around his, then he swiftly pulls her to his chest. "I would never change on you, ever, even when we're grey and old, you will always be my Ducky, you hear me?" He says in a low tone tightening his embrace. Hailey blushed as his words traversed through his arms to her ears. She slowly felt more tears welling up, as she hugged him back.