Desolated Smile Chapter 1

A story by Ears

Rain. The only sight that could be seen in this city. The sun had all ready set and there was nothing but bright lights that shown brighter due to the dark, heavy clouds above, drowning the city with it's liquid crystals. All though it was a fine city that had the many bystanders walking amongst one another, giving no second glance to the world around them, it was still a city that held grieve within its cracks. Though some stories have the usual drama and suspense, her story caused much pain from the start till the end. Some moments she had had were happy and enjoyable, but she still can't escape the clutches of dejection that follow and haunt her. There was one person that had held out the light of happiness in her world of darkened woe. She had loved them but she couldn't be with them. They were out of reach even though they were standing right in front of her. She couldn't stand it anymore so she gave up. The light was too bright and it overpowered her. This light... and the city lights... They're just blinding.

Chapter 1 - Rain

It was pouring outside that one wouldn't be able to portray another body in front of them unless they had some type of light. Maki Horikita, a slender woman with chocolate brown hair and eyes, combined together with clean pastel skin, sat on the living room couch staring out at the empty streets. The living room was decorated with simple things; a lamp on top of a stand, the television in the corner, two couches and an armchair surround a glass table, curtains pulled back and the indifferent plastic plant next to the armchair. The room posed three main colors; sky blue, gold and white. It was a very pretty room and it was bright and warm, if one could tell by first glances. Maki had turned on the TV to distract her for a few hours and take up some time but that plan quickly back fired when she began to ignore the voices on the screen. She couldn't get herself to concentrate on the program. It was probably the lack of inspiration in her writings. At the age of nineteen, Maki had all ready begun sorting her life plan. She aspires to become a newspaper columnist. She started off writing online stories which manifested into a dream of having her own column for stories in the paper but she has no idea what to write about. Completely brain dead. She let out a sigh of discontent, laying herself across the couch and staring up at the white ceiling.

"Nothing, huh?" She mumbled to herself as she closed her eyes and let out another sigh. She heard footsteps coming into the room and knew exactly who it was.

"Maa-chan, are you all right?" They asked her in their low solemn voice. She opened her eyes and looked up at a tall, strong looking man with a gruff face; tanned skin which contrasted from Maki's light skin, dark brown eyes and short black hair that was gelled up. Surprisingly, this man is Maki's cousin. He has a complexion of a young man in his early twenties but he's actually pushing into twenty-eight soon and because of this, he is sometimes mistaken as his cousin's uncle or father. He seated himself on the couch that his cousin was laying down upon and put down a cup that had steam rising from it. He handed her another cup he had which had a simple flower pattern on it. "It'll make you feel better." He says after seeing her reject the cup. "It's hot chocolate just the way you like it, with extra pink marshmallows in it." He gave her a smile which she returned with a small chuckle. Giving into her elder cousin's assertiveness, she took the cup from him nodding in thanks. He continued to smile and picked up the jug in front of him that was filled with dark coffee instead of hot chocolate. He blew it cool then took a sip from the cup. Maki had sat up and blew her hot chocolate cool and drank it slowly, feeling the warmness of the drink heating her entire body. She let out a satisfied sigh. She turned to her cousin and smiled which he returned with his own.

"Thanks, To-chan." She said referring to her cousin with a childhood nickname. To-chan, commonly known as Tomoya Nagase, gave her a toothy grin in response. They sat in a comfortable silence for quite some time. Both, once in awhile, stare at the television and tell the other a comment about the program. Still uninspired, and completely bored, Maki leans her head on her cousin's shoulder which he didn't mind at all. She let out a very loud sigh out of frustration. Tomoya looks down at her only being able to view the top of her head.