5 - choco bun

Sunlight peered through the window. It was morning.

Yuji got up from his bed and went straight to the living room. Megumi was sleeping, sprawled all over the couch, his shirt slightly lifted so that it exposed his belly.

Last night during dinner, Yuji managed to convince Megumi to keep staying with him. Megumi refused, multiple times, but since Yuji was persistent and wouldn't take no for an answer, Megumi eventually gave in and agreed to stay at Yuji's apartment.

"AaaaAAaaahhhhh" Megumi yawned as he slowly got up, stretching out his arms over his head.

"Good morning!" Yuji greeted him with a smile. He walked over to the couch. "Are you hungry?"

"Hmmm.." Megumi hugged his knees. "I don't know."

Just then, a loud growling sound was heard. It was, again, from Megumi's stomach.

"Looks like your stomach says yes" Yuji said. "I'll go prepare breakfast." Yuji made his way over to the kitchen.

"Hmmm what should we eat?" He open the fridge door, only to find nothing except water and milk.

"Eh?" He checked the cupboard and the drawers too, hoping to find something, but they all had barely anything in them. Well nothing edible at least.

"Do you not have any food?" Megumi asked. Yuji turned around and Megumi was standing behind him in the kitchen.

"Uhhh.." Yuji scratched his head. "I was supposed to go grocery shopping but I forgot so I guess....yeah. There's nothing." he replied sadly.

"Oh. I see." Megumi remarked, wearily. He yawned again and scratched his belly.

"But I'll go get us something, don't worry! I will make sure that you have something to eat for breakfast!" Yuji ran to his room and quickly changed his clothes.

"No it's okay-" but before Megumi could mutter out the words, Yuji already put his shoes on and rushed out the door.

Megumi went back over to the couch and sat down. This feeling felt so foreign to him. Waking up, and having someone greet you in the morning. Eating breakfast together with someone. Well I guess they didn't eat breakfast together yet, but Yuji was concerned enough that he rushed out the door to go get them some breakfast. Megumi guessed Yuji was just really hungry today.

Or maybe, he was also worried about me? That I would have enough to eat? Megumi pondered, but he brushed the thought aside.

He leaned back on the couch and looked up at the ceiling. Suddenly he remembered something.

"Hey dad, there's nothing to eat! I'm hungry. Can you go get us something?" Little Megumi pleaded.

His dad was sitting at the table, his back faced towards Megumi. Megumi could smell the cigarette smoke coming from his dad's lips.

"Look kid, I don't have money to waste on you. If you're so hungry, then go beg a neighbor for food. Or better yet go look in the garbage, I'm sure there's food there somewhere."

"I don't wanna eat food from the garbage." Megumi complained.

"Why not? Your worth as much as garbage anyways, so you might as well eat from the garbage too."

Suddenly the door slammed open. "I'm home!" Yuji yelled. "And I brought buns!" He held up a white plastic bag.

"I went to the local convenience store, and they didn't have much but this looked good so I got it. We can also bring them to school for lunch." He placed the bag down, emptying out the contents on the kitchen table.

Yuji made his way over to the kitchen. He looked at all the different buns Yuji got: meat buns, coconut buns, strawberry buns, vegetable buns, and more. All assorted kinds.

"So" Yuji gestured to the buns. "Which one do you want? You pick first Megumi."

"Uh." Megumi thought about it. "I don't really care, I'll eat whatever."

"Then here!" Yuji picked up a random bun and gave it to Megumi. "You can have the choco bun. Or at least I think it's the choco bun."

Megumi looked down at the bun in his hands. "Are you sure I can have this? I don't really have money to pay you back-"

"Not again! I don't want you to pay me back! In fact whenever you say mention that payment it makes me annoyed. Just eat it."

"But somehow it still feels wrong to me, to just eat without giving you anything as payment." Megumi replied.

"It's my gift to you." Yuji said. "I want to give this to you, and I want nothing except for you to eat it and not be hungry anymore, so eat up." He looked at him expectantly.

Megumi eyed the bun. Somehow he couldn't fathom the idea of being given something without the person wanting anything back.

Can people really be that kind? Yuji doesn't get any benefit out of doing all these things for Megumi, does he? Or is he really just a nice person who does stuff for people because he wants to. Do people like that really exist?

"Thank you." Megumi gave a small, but sweet smile to Yuji in gratitude. Yuji looked awestruck.

The choco bun was still warm in Megumi's hands. He brought it to his mouth and savored the taste. It was sweet. And delicious.

"Then I'll pick the meat bun!" Yuji picks up a round piece of bread with meat filling and chomps into it. "It's delicious!" He exclaims gleefully.

"Do you want to try my choco bun?" Megumi offers.

"Oohh sure." Yuji leans in and takes a bite out of Megumi's choco bun, at the same part where Megumi took a bite.

"It's good!" Yuji approved.

"Hey, isn't this sort of like an indirect kiss?" Megumi remarks.

Yuji blushes at the thought. "Ah-yeah.....I guess so." he stammers the words out.

"Then I guess in a strange way, this was my first kiss. Choco bun kiss." Megumi said. He eats the rest of his choco bun and heads to the bathroom.

"Choco bun kiss." Yuji repeats to himself.

Our first kiss, was a choco bun kiss.