Chapter 5 - The Chase

After shopping in Oaken's store, Anna had thought about her situation. On foot and without equipment, she could never cross the heights of North Mountain. So she decided to hire a professional, and knew where to find it. The young princess walked towards a wooden building at the back of the shop, which was surely acting as a reserve. As she approached, Anna could hear the calm, melodic sounds of a lute. She listened, hearing this man, Kristoff, singing that reindeer are better than people. She was a little surprised when she heard as if he was imitating another voice, as if someone was answering him. She made the decision to enter.

_ "Nice duet." she commented, pushing aside the wooden door. Kristoff and Sven, about to fall asleep, jumped up in surprise.

_ "Oh, it's you ... what do you want?" Kristoff asked, still unwilling to be friendly. Anna preferred to ignore his complete lack of politeness and focused on the main topic.

_ "Um ... I want you to take me up to the North Mountain." she demanded bluntly, but not very confidently. Kristoff stared at her like she was crazy.

_ "I don't take people places." was his answer as he lay limply on the pile of straw, covering his head with his cap. Faced with this refusal, Anna did not allow herself to be so easily.

_ "Let me rephrase that." and with these words, the princess awkwardly threw a bag over Kristoff's stomach, who gasped. Anna again ordered him to take her to the mountain, to which Kristoff could see that the bag contained all the necessary equipment for a climb.

_ "Look, I know how to stop this winter." Anna said, hoping this time to convince him for good. Although he didn't seem very happy with the idea, Kristoff sighed and seeing that she had bought the equipment he wanted for him, decided to pay this debt and agreed.

_ "We'll be leaving tomorrow at dawn ... and you forgot the carrots for Sven."

Again, Kristoff received a bag, on the face this time. This new bag contained carrots, which made the reindeer eyes glow with lust.

_ "Sorry ..." said Anna "... Um, I mean, we're leaving now."

_ "In that case, allow me to come too." Then came a loud voice just behind Anna, which made her jump in surprise. She immediately recognized the stocky warrior with the thick beard who was in the shop.

_"And you're?" Anna asked, quite intimidated by the massive weapons the dwarf warrior carried on her back.

_ "Muradin Bronzebeard, at your service, my little lady." replied the dwarf with a proud smile. Kristoff and Sven stared at him with some suspicion. Anna was also on her guard, but at the same time, looked fascinated by the stoutness of the armor and weapons this stranger was carrying. How did he manage not to be crushed by all this weight?

_ "And ... why do you want to go to the North Mountain too?" Kristoff asked.

_ "You have your reasons, I have mine ..." replied Muradin clearly "... listen, I don't know what triggered this winter, or how you plan to stop it ... But I can assure one thing: without me, you will never reach this mountain... alive."

His decision not to say anything about his motives made him even more suspicious, but yet his words sounded sincere. Anna could see it in his more serious eyes and her voice that had grown much darker and less confident. He knew about something in that mountain ... something dangerous, far more than Elsa's power ...

_ "Muradin, isn't it?" Anna said as she approached the dwarf. "Any help is good to take, but you have to promise me one thing: that you will never hurt my sister."

Muradin raised an eyebrow, wondering why she was asking him that.

_ "I told you ... I don't care what motivates you to go to this mountain ... there is only one target that interests me, and it is surely not your sister."