Chapter Seven

Cody P.O.V

Those words made everything in my head go into overdrive. They were planning on meeting each other after school?! This guy, a guy who she has known for less than two days, wants to meet her after school and she agreed?! What kind of person does that?

I didn't get a chance to ask Hannah about it either. After saying she'd meet with him after school, she left in a rush, waving goodbye as she did. Every red flag was raised. I don't know how Hannah thought involving herself with that guy was a good idea. Apart of me didn't want to care; it was Hannah's life. She could do whatever she wanted, and I didn't have that much say. Even knowing this, I still couldn't just let her go somewhere after school with this guy that she barely knows. If I did, and something happened to her, I'd live with the guilt forever.

Figuring out how I was going to stop this meet-up became the only thing on my mind. Classes didn't matter when it came to the safety of my best friend. She probably wasn't giving it a single thought either.

Actually, scratch that, there were two things on my mind, Hannah being the first, and the other was the fact Zach had stared at me the entire time during Language Arts. It wasn't the most obvious at first, but I caught on and pretended that I didn't see him after a while. The dislike I felt towards him has only intensified since the whole 'sexy jean' comment.

I had no idea how I was going to stop Hannah from attending this meet-up. How does she not see how much of a bad idea this was? It's clear who has the brains out of the two of us. What could I say that would make her not want to do . . . whatever she was planning on doing with Dylan? There had to be something that I could say that could convince her to go home instead. There should have been something, but nothing was coming to mind.

I was able to think better once I was away from Zach's almost unbearable gaze. I could worry about Zach later because right now, there were more pressing concerns. The closer that school got to be over, the more I panicked. I texted Hannah earlier asking about what their conversation had been about, but she had just replied with 'it's none of your business.' That reply alone made me want to not care about her after-school plans anymore, but she could apologize and thank me in a couple of years when she realizes that I was right. 

I tried to think positively. I wanted to believe that I was just overreacting, being a jealous friend with issues, which I'll admit is partially true, but I think there's more to it than that. I wanted to believe that they could just be new friends going to hang out for the first time without a hint of malicious intent. I also wanted to think that I was a normal teenage boy without my own unique set of issues, but I don't think either of them is true. 

When the final bell rang, I freaked out. What was I going to do? What could I even do? It was clear that Hannah was not going to tell me anything about what they were going to do. I should just allow her to do what she wants and make her own stupid decisions, but I couldn't. This 'meet-up' raised too many red flags for me to ignore, she might be able to, but I can't. And I was running out of time to figure out what I could do to stop it.

There was always one thing at my disposal, the one thing that I have that no one else does. My powers. The thing that's always made me feel like I don't fit in; that's made me feel different. I used to tell myself that if I don't use my powers, then I could pretend that they never existed. But they do exist, and for once, they may be of use.

The thought of using my abilities didn't sit well with me, but I was running out of time and out of options. I left my classroom quickly, ignoring the people who turned to look at me weirdly. I hurried down the hallway, looking for an empty classroom. A classroom towards the end of the hall had its door cracked open with the room empty. I rushed into the room, shoving the door closed and flicking off the lights.

In the relatively dark classroom, I allowed the weirdest part of myself and allowed it to show itself. From the soles of my feet, dark shadows sprouted up, twisting around my legs, moving to consume my entire body. The shadows were familiar, almost like a friend. The first time the shadows had engulfed me, I had been terrified. Now was a different story; now, the shadows brought along a sense of familiarity and comfort. It has been a long time since I last used my powers, reminding me of the feelings that came with using my abilities.

The shadows dug into me, making me one with them. At least, that was what I imagined happens when I disappear into the shadows. In the dark, I can become one with darkness. I could move freely in my shadow form as the physical world's barriers, such as buildings, were no longer an issue. People weren't obstacles anymore either, as, in my shadow form, I could see them, but they can't see me. A unique form of shadow-invisibility, but alas, no ability is without its kinks, as no power is perfect, trust me on that.

I practically flew out of the classroom, hurrying towards Hannah's locker, letting out a relieved sigh when I saw that she was still there. There was a bright smile on her face. For a second, I felt like maybe this was a bad idea. That she was just going to hang out with a new friend, and I had just jumped to an incorrect conclusion. But the overbearing instinct to protect my best friend won out.

When Hannah left her locker, I followed behind her, feeling a bit like a stalker. It would all be justifiable if something bad happens during their little get-together even though the only person I have to justify the observing thing to was myself. Hannah could never find out. Her finding out would lead her to discover other secrets that I've kept secret from her for years, secrets I've kept a secret from everyone. 

Dylan was already waiting for Hannah outside the school. He lept to attention the moment that he saw Hannah approach. They both lightly greeted each other before Hannah followed Dylan to his vehicle. I followed behind them swiftly, listening to them talk to each other. I had been hoping that they'd reveal their plans, but it was never brought up.

They both got into the car, so I quickly moved through the car door, sitting carefully down onto the backseat. The last thing I wanted to have happened was me going through the seat and falling straight out of the car. Dylan quickly pulled out of the school parking lot, driving in the direction of uptown. I was left wondering where they were going as the topic was never brought up; nothing was brought up at all. After they left the school, the conversation between the two of them seemed to stop. I could practically feel the awkwardness in the air. I don't know how the two of them ignored it, but it made me shift uncomfortably in the backseat. If Hannah wanted to meet with Dylan after school, then why were they so awkward? I get that they just met and stuff, but why wouldn't they be interacting with each other to get to know each other better?

I quickly got lost in the unknown streets. This was a part of the city that I've never been to. I didn't like that I didn't know where I was. I had been hoping that they'd go to a public place where it would be safer for Hannah. The unknown factor was starting to scare me more and more as Dylan drove further into the unknown part of the city. I leaned to the side, looking at Hannah, hoping that she'd be expressing the same amount of anxiety that I was. But she wasn't. She had a laid back smile on her face, a relaxed posture, nothing to express a signal sign of distress. I wanted to hit her. It was her that I was worried about! So why am I the only one concerned about where they were going? Where we were going.

To me, it seemed like Dylan was never going to stop driving. It just seemed like an endless drive. I know that this city is vast, but I often don't see it firsthand since I'm usually locked up in the apartment. I think that was making this drive even more unsettling to me, and the fact that the final location was still unknown.

"We're almost there, give or take another five minutes," Dylan suddenly said, startling me. Sure, go the entire time without talking, and now you speak? I know he wasn't talking to me, but the five-minute heads up was nice regardless. It gave me five minutes to mentally prepare myself for whatever Hannah (and I, I guess) were about to get ourselves into. Why did it feel like a bad thing was about to happen?