Chapter 3: Dumbledore's Army

Paola woke up to a sore hand, still wrapped with a white bandage and a red stain where the cut was made. She sighed and stood up from her bed, to her bathroom. She took off the bandage and cleaned the cut, slightly flinching at the sudden pain. She didn't wrap the cut this time. It's the weekend, so Paola decided to go outside and chill out.

She got to the forest to see a bare-foot, Luna hanging out with some Thestrals. Paola greeted Luna. Luna turned around and shot her a smile. The curly haired walked over to her and the Thestral she was petting.

"Got any food for it?" Paola asked her, deciding to not ask why she didn't have any shoes on.

Luna nodded and took a piece of meat out her bag "Here."

Paola took it and threw it in the air for the animal to catch, it did. Luna started to pet it once again. While Paola went over to the ones that sat near a small body of water.

Luna and Paola had been quite acquainted. They've talked but wouldn't be considered friends. The Slytherin heard Luna say something but ignored it. But she then heard another voice.

"What are they?" asked the voice. A voice Paola recognized easily, making her rolled her eyes.

"They're called Thestrals. They're quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they're a bit..." Luna explained.

"Different." said the boy "But why can't the others see them?" He asked.

"Only people who have seen death can see them." Paola said, going up to them.

"So, both of you have known someone who's died, then?" Harry asked, a little startled at Paola's sudden appearance.

"My mum" Luna said.

Harry looked over at Paola "You?" Not knowing why he asked her exactly.

"That's none of your business, Potter." she snarled. Harry scratched his neck and glanced at the side nervouly, as Luna gave Paola a 'calm down' look. Paola scoffed, and stepped away from them but she could still hear them talking.

"My mum was quite an extraordinary witch," Luna said, changing the subject "But she did like to experiment..." She started to slowly walk over to Paola, Harry following "I was 9."

"I'm sorry" Harry said apologetically.

"Yes, it was rather horrible." Her soft voice spoke. "I do feel very sad about it sometimes, but I've got Dad."

They stayed quiet for a little, looking at the dark animals, a rustling sound in front of them.

"We both believe you, by the way." Luna said. As they watched Paola play with one of the baby Thestrals, making said rustling. The sight made Harry slightly smile, unintentionally. He snapped out of it and processed what Luna said, then turned his head to look at her.

"That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him... and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you." Luna finished, reminding him of all that had happened.

"Thanks. It seems you're about the only ones that do" He responded, looking back at Paola, who laid in the floor with the baby Thestral on top of her, laughing. Harry has never seen her smile or never noticed anyway. Looking at her, genuinely laughing, it made him feel... Different.

"I don't think that's true. Even she does." She said, looking over at Paola too. "But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."

Harry looked over at her again, confused "What do you mean?"

"Well, if I were You-Know-Who... I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else... because if it's just you alone... you're not as much of a threat." She smiled sweetly, looking back at him, then Paola.