32

catch a break

catch a break

ATHENA FROWNED AS SHE FOLLOWED CAROLINE OUT OF THE SCHOOL WHERE COUNTLESS OTHER PERIOD-DRESSED STUDENTS AWAITED INSTRUCTION. She shuffled with the fabric of her dress, pulling lightly at the green bow that draped down the front of it. "Are you sure I don't look stupid? I mean, I don't exactly fit the innocent, southern belle look with the whole scarface thing going on,"

"Athena," Caroline sighs at her ex's self-deprecating words. "You look stunning, Stefan's not going to know what hit him. And trust me, no one notices your scar as much as you do, okay? Besides, scars are hot."

The brunette rolls her eyes, but a smile pulls at her painted lips anyway. "I swear, I've never had this much hairspray in my hair,"

"Freshman year would say otherwise,"

Athena's jaw drops and she laughs incredulously, her brown ringlets shifting over her exposed collarbones. "At least I knew when to put the tweezers down, Care,"

The blonde's eyes widen, but she echoes Athena's incredulous laugh as they walk towards the floats. "You're such a bitch,"

"You love me," Athena winks, her eyes shifting to scan the crowd. Almost immediately, her gaze lands on Stefan and she lets out a soft exhale when she feels her face slowly fall in adoration. Standing there, respectful as ever with his arms tucked behind his back, stands Stefan in a suit that she knows is straight from the 1800s.

The smile on his face is nearly blinding, and she sees Damon standing beside him with a smug smirk as he meets her eye and slaps Stefan's shoulder to point to her.

Slowly, Stefan's eyes rise from the ground and span her flowing dress before they land on her face and she sees the glimmer of love shine in them. Caroline nudges her forward out of her stupor and Athena grins like an idiot in love as she approaches him, picking her layered skirts up slightly to bow before him as he offers a hand to her.

" This was the secret dress?" He raises a brow and she nods quietly. "It's perfect. You're perfect."

Damon mockingly gags, earning a chuckle from Caroline, though he quickly gives Athena an approving nod. "Very nice. If it weren't for your terrible manners, you'd fit right in that period,"

"It was all Caroline, of course," Athena gestures to Caroline's dress, which mirrors the drama of a well-off woman from that time. "I wouldn't be doing any of this if it weren't for her, anyways."

Caroline's pale cheeks flush and she rolls her eyes, batting a hand at Athena's praise. "Okay, okay, I have to go get on my float. I'll see you guys later!"

The blonde disappears in a flurry of pressed fabric and curls, and the trio all shake their heads at her constant state of go. Caroline never takes a break, certainly not for her own sake.