FOUR

NAOMI'S EYES GAZE UP AT THE AFTERNOON SKY TIREDLY AS THE HARSH SUN LOWERS ON THE HORIZON

Neither she nor the Mandalorian have said a word since they left the encampment, both too lost in their own heads to even notice. No matter how hard she tries, Naomi just doesn't understand why. Why she was tasked with hunting down an innocent child and why she was paid so much to do so. Her brow creases with confusion as she continues to follow a few paces behind the Mandalorian. The child hovers safely between them, babbling every now and again and interrupting Naomi's train of thought.

They had left their single blurrg behind and now find themselves following one of the many deep canyons that carve through Arvala-7's terrain. Naomi's eyes stay glued to the small creature in front of her as his long ears twitch, taking in the new sights and sounds of their surroundings after being imprisoned for stars know how long. He watches curiously as tiny animals scurry all around, careful not to get too close to the wandering trio.

The child's ears droop when the creatures suddenly scatter. Naomi's breath hitches when she sees shadows flicker on the canyon walls, alerting her to a foreign presence.

"Mando," she whispers, gripping the blaster at her hip. His helmet turns to her and gives a slow nod, confirming what she already knows. They have company.

Naomi searches above them cautiously as she assumes a defensive stance near their bounty, sudden protectiveness flooding her. Her heartbeat quickens as she waits anxiously. For a moment, the only sound she hears is her own labored breathing. 

With a grating battle cry, a large Trandoshan hunter leaps from the shadows, swinging his vibrating glaive down inches from Mando's head. When his blade cuts into the muddy ground, Naomi notices the rapidly beeping fob on his waist.

The child.

The Mandalorian reacts swiftly, using his wrist's command to push the child's cradle away from danger. He continues to fight hand to hand with the hunter, using the gauntlets on his wrist to counter the clumsy attacks.