Prologue: Four Long Years and Three Months Later

©2012 All Rights Reserved By Bianca A. Guevara

------------------------ 

Prologue:

The crowd screamed as the stage lights came on. The guys in my band, Venus Sways, began to play their instruments with passion. I loved this part. The ceiling fans were turned on and down I came. My long blood red dress billowed behind me. I had a pair of black angel wings on my back. I was coming in for a landing and as soon as my feet touched the ground, I started to sing along with the band to our song 'Sweet Angel.' It was a cover of my original version and had more of a rocker feel to it than when I did it solo. I sang my heart out and the fans went wild. When the song was done, I did my normal thing and conversed with my audience.

"How's everyone tonight?" I asked the crowd. They screamed in return. "I hope you're enjoying yourselves so far. That opening band had some skills, right?" They cheered in agreement. "What should I sing next, guys?" I heard shouts of several different songs, but I knew I was going to sing our most popular, 'It's What She Wants.' It was a song we had written while coming up with a name for the band. "How about I sing 'It's What She Wants'?" The crowd cheered even louder, if that was even possible. I smiled at our fans. It was a great feeling being up on stage.

The guys in the band were great and enjoyed the music. They had been starting out when I'd first heard them at this little hole in the wall place that my friend, Izzy, had taken me to. They'd been in desperate need of a singer; their lead guitarist wasn't that great under pressure. I had, on a whim, jumped on the stage and sang along with their cover of some My Chemical Romance song, I forget which one.

After, I'd asked Zeke to listen to them and begged him to let them be my band. I'd gotten tired of being a solo singer and was happy to have a band to share the excitement with. We'd since sold two whole albums, making them both my fourth and fifth as an artist, and we were currently working on our third as a band.

Our show lasted two full hours and I was exhausted by the end. We'd done a meet-and-greet before the show, but we always had a small signing afterwards. I changed clothes into a simple short dress that had only one long full sleeve. I took off the wings and put on different shoes. I looked at myself in the mirror.

I'm Venus of Venus Sways and I'm a rock star. A lonely, loveless rock star.

I smiled at myself and tried to make it genuine. This was the last show for about a month or so. We were now done with the east coast and would be moving on to central North America and the west coast. I was just glad for the break. The guys were eager to go and visit their family and I was just eager to be home.

~~~

It wasn't until a full day later that I walked into my apartment in California and sighed in relief. I put my keys in the bowl next to my purse. I locked the door and double checked to be sure. I walked over to my bathroom to take a long and much needed shower. I pulled out the fake strips of color in my hair. I took pride in my natural hair color and when they had insisted that I needed a new look I wouldn't allow them to dye my hair in any way. Their compromise was to put in fake color strips, which I was very okay with.

My hair had grown a lot in the past few years. I couldn't believe it had almost been five years since I had been in my hometown. It was times like this, when I was all by myself, with no band guys, shows, interviews, or anything to keep my mind busy, that I really felt alone. I took off my makeup and looked at myself in the mirror. I had really changed in the past few years.

I had adopted a stage name of Venus and changed a lot about myself. I was still healthy, but more defined and I had longer hair that was usually streaked with red and/or purple. I always wore black eyeliner and I'd gotten a lip ring and a tongue ring along with a few visible tattoos. I'd gotten ivy tattooed on my right leg, it reached up to mid-calf and started at the top of my foot. I had also gotten raven wings on my back that went from the top of my shoulders to the small of my back. I had also gotten a few music notes behind my left ear.