Laughter

Hey babes!! I hope you like this one. This story is a bit more difficult to write for me just because this Sang is a bit more sweet than my others. I really hope it's still decent. Loves!!

“I'll drown in the water, If I listen to the sound, Of cruel laughter” Flyleaf (Head Underwater)

I did everything right today. I know I did but it doesn’t matter. Mother still won’t let me eat what I made for everyone else. The mean glint in her eyes as I set the table made sure that I knew. Not to mention the laughter as she took away the beans. Only rice tonight for dinner. I just wish I knew what I did to cause this. Crawling into bed I bite my tongue to keep from crying out loud. I just want to make Mother happy but nothing I do seems to work.

Marie wasn't able to slip me anything tonight because Mother threw the leftovers away. She said that no one would want 'old' food. I would though. I would love to eat the enchiladas even if they were a couple days old. I'm sure they would still taste good. I think she knew that though. I'm starting to think Mother doesn't care. She constantly lectures me on the horrible things that men will do to me if I ever talk to them but I know that can't be the whole story. Right? With my mind swirling I fall asleep only to fall into a nightmare.

Cackling laughter fills the air around me. My feet are running on a wet forest floor. Suddenly the laughter stops and silence fills the air. The silence holds an eerie feeling and I race faster. I don't know what I'm running from or running to but I have to keep going. I keep racing until I trip over something and fall. The laughter fills my mind again right before I hit the ground.

I jolt awake suddenly. The pale dusky light coming in through my window lets me know it's still much too early to be awake. There's nothing I can do about it now though.Throwing the covers off of myself I start to get ready. My first day of school today. My first day without Marie and at a new school. I can do this.

A quick look at the clock shows that I still have a few hours before the bus gets here so I take my time. After a warm shower and journaling for a bit it's been enough time for me to put Mother's breakfast near her and slip outside. Doubling checking that I have everything I need in my bag I slip my MP3 into my jacket pocket. Smoothing my cool grey skirt down and checking the buttons on my pale pink blouse I head downstairs.

I glide around downstairs as quietly as possible. Placing the piping hot oatmeal by Mother's sleeping form so that it will be cool enough to eat when she wakes up I zip outside. I still have about thirty minutes before the bus shows up so I take a seat on the porch. The air smells wonderful and the colors of the sky make everything seem okay. I stay here as a few other kids leave their houses to wait for the bus. Right across the street are two boys joking around.

I watch the one with dark hair and glasses lightly shove the red haired one as they both erupt into laughter. The red head is much wider than the dark haired boy and I would be worried about the roughing around if it didn't look like the dark haired boy could handle himself. Listening to their laughter reminds me of my dream except the laughter I hear now sounds warm and happy.

I smile softly at the idea of having warm laughs fill my dreams instead of cruel coldness. One day I know I'll have that. I know it.
When the bus pulls up in front of my house I quickly get on and take an empty seat near the front. The bus already has quite a few people on and my nerves spike instantly. The two boys I was watching get on right after me and take a seat across the aisle. The one with glasses looks over and smiles kindly. His green eyes flare and shine against the sleek frames and high cheekbones. "Hi. You moved in this summer right?"

I feel a faint flush take over my face as I nod slowly. The red head next to him laughs softly and elbows him. "Don't worry hun. He's not a creeper usually. Kota here has been wanting to meet you guys for weeks and I had to stop him from coming over." My face heats rapidly and fiercely just as Kota does the same. Quickly looking away I fiddle with my headphones. I don't want to be rude but talking to people is hard and I'm already at the end of my rope today. Marie isn't here and I don't know anyone. Keeping my breathing even is taking all of my focus.

"Sorry. Nathan tends to overshare. I hope you like it here. If you ever need anything feel free to let me know." Glancing up I meet his kind eyes and nod. Forcing a small smile on my face I try to show my appreciation without speaking. A strange look crosses his face as he swallows harshly. Turning away I put one headphone in and let the sweet sounds of music flow through my ears. 

Tapping my toe along to the beat helps to speed up the bus ride. No one sat by me but I don't think I'll be so lucky again as the bus looked more packed than legal. That's not a right now problem though. As we pull up to the school I take a deep breath and show my headphones away. Laughter of returning students fills the air and I have to force myself not to flinch away. You can do this Sang.

Calmly making my way to my first class I duck and dodge elbows everywhere. Being short makes me right in elbow range. I'm used to this. I'm not used to the stares and whispers though. My cheeks are flaming as I hear a few things in passing. Some people are disgusting. Slipping into my homeroom I take an open seat and calm my breathing. It's okay Sang. It's okay.