XXVIII. Give Us The Wizard

Thorin did not seem to be suspicious at all about Lucien and Bilbo's little trip into town. The dwarf found the wizard where he left him, book in hand and the fire roaring, nothing had changed and he had nothing to worry about. Yet Lucien was still nervous whenever he was around, that was just in his nature though.

The next morning Lucien was awake at the same time as the sun, not able to sleep with what he knew would happen when morning came and who would visit. He found Bilbo in the dining hall, eyes wide and hands shaking. It looked like this situation was effecting the hobbit much greater and Lucien felt rather guilty.

Lucien sat beside him. "Everything will be fine, Bilbo."

"I appreciate that, Lucien, but I just have the worst feeling." He confessed.

The wizard sighed, "I understand. I feel it too." That fluttering in his stomach and the invisible pressure on his throat as he chocked out breaths, it was distinct and inevitable.

Before either of them could utter another word, Dwalin came running in with urgency, "An army has arrived!" He yelled, "Thorin!"

In a matter of minutes, the entire company was atop the wall blocking the large doorway. Thranduil and his army with Bard and his people were marching towards them and it was intimidating, to say the least.

Lucien stood behind Thorin, Bilbo at his side in fear but also strength. The hobbit was strong, Lucien knew, and it was only a matter of time before he spoke up for himself.

He could see Bard and Thranduil, both wearing different expressions but both determined, all the same, this was what they wanted and the two were as stubborn as they came. Lucien could only worry for everyone he cared for, inside he was on both sides but right now he had to choose and that was the worst of all.

Thorin fired the first arrow in a warning. "I will put the next one between your eyes." And he received shouts of agreement from the dwarves around him, cheering their leader on. It made the wizard frown, why did dwarves have to be so headstrong?

The elves beyond raised their own bows, arrows at the ready. The synchronization was so amazing it was hard to believe they were all unique and different from each other and not one they portrayed themselves so hard to be.

Thranduil held out an arm and his army stood down.

"We've come to tell you the payment of your debt has been offered and accepted."

"What payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing." Thorin questioned sceptically.

Bard took out the stone from his coat, the object shining in the gloomy light of the morning like a beacon of hope and of destruction. It bore little power but was made so important in the eyes of the dwarves.

"We have this." The man cautiously spoke.

"They have the Arkenstone. Thieves!" Kili was the one to yell, "How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king."

"The King may have it, with our goodwill." Bard hid the stone from sight once again, "But first, he must honour his word."

"They're taking us for fools. This is a ruse and a filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain, it is a trick!"

Lucien opened his mouth, ready to take the blame, ready to disappoint the dwarf and the others with what he had done. Of course, he would keep Bilbo out of it and be sure to paint him as the good and loyal creature Thorin thought he was to him.

That was until Bilbo stepped forward. "I-it's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." It subtly infuriated Lucien, it should have been him to confess.