Pretension

Liaht Lambert was the second daughter of Marquis Lambert. She was not loved by her father, she had always heard from the maids that he had loved from the beginning, Bianca, his current wife. The marriage to the Liaht's mother only came about under pressure from the Marquis's mother, since Bianca was only a third daughter of a poor Baron. For this reason, the marquis repudiated Liaht, since he had already had Agustine, his precious daughter, with his beloved Bianca.
When given the opportunity, Marquis Lambert divorced Catalina Worwood, who had just given birth to their second daughter, Liaht. He soon expelled Catalina and brought Bianca to his property, who was carrying their little three-year-old girl in her arms.
Liaht was left in the care of her grandmother, who loved her and recognized her as his only granddaughter. Winning with that, the hatred of the marquis and his wife.
When the Liaht was six years old, her grandmother died and was ignored by all. They only brought him to eat stale bread and water three times a day. She was not allowed to go to the garden so as not to disturb Agustine, the princess of the mansion, nor did she have toys or fancy clothes. What he used were old rags and he played with the branches he collected in the forest, where he always was. Isolated like a wild and unwanted animal, the Liaht grew.
Sometimes she wanted to be in her sister's place, she wanted to be loved by her father and to have a mother who would take care of her and be with her at all times. But they were just dreams. At the age of nine he understood that it would never be reality.
On a birthday of the marquis, she sneaked out to congratulate him, waited for him in a corridor until she saw him walk in that direction, when he saw her, he hit her so hard that he blew out her mouth and loosened a tooth. He was so frightened and disappointed that he never again thought of approaching the marquis.
To Agustine he was a loving father, but to her he was a cruel enemy.
The differences it made were enormous.
For Liaht, the only conclusion in her mind was that she was an orphan and the best thing she could do was get out of there as soon as possible.
She still didn't understand why they kept her there if they hated her. Until overnight, they moved her to a decent room and the maids fixed it. An unexpected visit was what put everyone there to work on pretending.

an envoy from the Unity dukedom had come to meet his young master's fiancée. That was the little 12-year-old Liaht.

Agustine was enraged, so much so that she hit her sister several times after the guest left.

"How can this useless thing be the Duke's fiancée !?"

As Agustine tugged at the thin Liaht's hair, the servants laughed at the scene and the Marchioness finally calmed her daughter, for her dignity was at stake.
Bianca took her daughter, who was crying as if she were the one who had received the blows; Marcus, the Marquis Lambert, withdrew from there, disgusted to see the Liaht and the disorder, which from his perspective, had caused.

The maids began to arrange everything and took the second girl to her room.
Her platinum hair was matted and her face bruised. She was upset, humiliated, and powerless in a house full of strangers who hated her just for being born.

That night she cried as she hadn't since the marquis hit her. She fell exhausted on the bed, her eyelids were heavy and her body was paralyzed with fatigue. He could not breathe through his nose due to the long time of crying, but he smelled sweet and heard a very soft whisper and then he fell into a dream as manic and hopeless as no other.

Her commitment to Duke Unity had brought her out of her prison, that happened when the Liaht was 16 years old.
For that, he had a long list of beatings and abuses, because he had to learn lost years of etiquette and so on. She was totally illiterate and that made her an easy prey, so much so that her stepmother and stepsister made her sign some papers, in which she transferred to Agustine all the assets inherited by her grandmother, of which she had no knowledge.
Agustine was enjoying a large fortune at 19, in addition to being close friends with Princess Lindsay, with whom she shared great influence in social circles.
Liaht was kept locked up in the duchy, she rarely saw her fiancé, but she felt calmer there, at least she no longer received blows.

The maids ignored her, she never gave importance to that because no one respected her in the marquis's house, it was not strange to her. But there was one thing that bothered him, the constant presence of the princess in the dukedom.
Even when she hardly saw her fiancé, she loved him, because in her short life, he was the second person to not mistreat her. He believed that little by little their relationship would grow and that they would be happy.
She tried hard to be a great lady and not to embarrass her fiancé.

The more the months progressed and the wedding got closer, the happier she felt. Until he saw something he shouldn't ...
They were the princess and the duke kissing in the garden, he swore his love to her and promised to break their engagement. He promised to marry only her.
That shattered the Liaht's hopes, her heart was shattered.
Staggering back to his room and shut himself up. He needed to process everything he had heard and seen. Again his illusions of love were broken.

Why did no one love her? His grandmother was the only one who did it and she was already dead. Her mother apparently did not want to know anything about her, she resented the marquis and her daughter reminded her of him.

A few days later, two guards arrived for her. They locked her in a cell and issued her centennial. Exile for trying to poison the princess. They took her out as if she were a dog and without money and without food, she wandered through the streets of an unknown country. There, he met an old woman, who told him that she would help him change his story, in exchange for changing that of his granddaughter.

When he opened his eyes, he was still in the room prepared by the marquis and his face was still bruised from Agustine's blows. So, had it all been a dream?
She had no one to defend her, so she couldn't take that nightmare lightly. He had to change that whole story if he wanted to avoid ruin.
Despite having been a dream, he remembered how to write his name and also how to sit or walk. That was a great advantage, so she wouldn't sign the papers that Bianca and Agustine would give her to steal her inheritance. Still, it was very difficult, since she was only 12 years old, they could force her.
She had to escape. He began to walk through the forest and create maps of the area, if he crossed the river, he would be in a town near the border with his mother's country. She would make a deal with her and live off his inheritance. If his mother was not trustworthy, then he would look for someone else.
Determined, she hid a large piece of bread and also a piece of cheese, she would feed on that as she found her mother's house, Countess Worwood.
He waited for 2 am to sneak out of the mansion, as no one was paying attention to him, it was easy to enter the forest.

She ran as much as she could, she couldn't delay, because as soon as someone noticed her absence, they would look for her. In two hours he was already crossing the river. Everything around him was clearer now.
He jumped between the rocks of the river without rest, his feet were numb with cold as were his face and hands.
Once he crossed, he ran towards the town, he ran through it quickly. He stumbled a few times, but didn't stop to rest.
She crossed the border, hiding in the trees, she didn't want to be seen by anyone. It was already noon and they were surely looking for her.
She sat down to eat behind a tree, she was very tired and still had to keep running if she wanted to run away.
Some footsteps scared her, they were three men in masks. She didn't know what to do, she had never been so far alone.
He shrugged and offered them his bread and cheese.

"Do you expect us to eat that?"

Said one of them. His voice was mocking and grave. Liaht trembled with fear.

"Hey Mint, you scare her, poor thing shakes more than a squirrel."

Another of them, apparently younger, took pity on her.

"What do we do, Vlad?"

Mint asked the guy who had been keeping quiet so far.

"Hair the color of silver. Let's take it with us, I think it is a suitable gift for him."

Mint carried the girl on one of his shoulders and Vlad covered her with a cape.

"Are you sure of this?"

The young man who had defended her earlier asked.

"Come on Piper, don't be a coward. Better go ahead and get the horses."

Liaht was in a panic, he didn't know what to do in that situation, but he thought that at least he could go with them and get away from the marquis faster, then he would escape from that trio of strangers. With that in mind, she fell asleep, all the running had her exhausted.

She heard many female voices, she was inside a bathtub with rose petals, five women were taking care of her, they all seemed happy.