Chapter 6: Dinner

When Ellie and I reach Joel's house we knock first before Ellie opens the door to let ourselves in. Once we step inside we look in the living room to see Joel still in the process of getting off the couch. Ellie sighs before running over to him and giving Joel a hand. We only just got a wheelchair made for him and we moved his bed downstairs since he can't go up the stairs anymore. We insisted he move houses to a one floor, but this place is his home, it's the first place in years that's been stable for him. Ellie still has her place but she also tries to stay in Joel's room as much as she can to help out Joel in case anything happens. When Ellie isn't staying here it's Tommy. Joel's annoyed with it but it's not stopping anyone.

"I got it Ellie, I got it." Joel waves his arm at her to get her to scoot away. Ellie rolls her eyes and looks at me with a strained smile. I give her a small one back before moving slowly towards the pair. Joel looks over at me and gives me a small smile.

"Hi, Tate."

"Hey Joel." I lean on the couch and feel my heart beat faster. Joel is a hard person to crack, and especially since Ellie and I have became what we are he has been protective. Aster and Alaia made me watch this movie and in it they talked about the importance of parents liking who you're with. Ever since I've been worried since I can't read Joel. He rolls past me and I internally sigh at my lack of conversation. I wish I was better at talking to people but I just don't get it. I look at Ellie and she gives me a soft sigh before following Joel. I take myself off the couch and go into the kitchen to grab some plates and cutlery. I bring them out to Joel's dining room to set the table. As I'm putting down the last piece of cutlery I feel an arm wrap around my torso and Ellie gives me a kiss on the neck.

"I'm sorry. He's just adjusting. It isn't you." Ellie whispers to me as she keeps her lips on my neck.

"I know. I just still don't know how to talk to him."

"If it helps I couldn't until like the third month I knew him. And I was around him all the time." Ellie tells me as I turn around to look at her. She told me how she met Joel. It was after we got back and she told me about how Joel took her to the fireflies. She explained that is where Abby came from and how Joel killed all of them which is why Abby and her group came after him.

"I know." I whisper to her quietly. She looks at me before closing the gap and giving me a soft kiss. When she pulls away I give her a soft smile. She returns the smile and opens her mouth to say something but shuts it when we hear a knock. Ellie lets out a sigh before unwrapping her arms for me.

"Great timing." Ellie mutters before turning around to get the door. When we get there we see Joel working on opening it. He just gets it and we are greeted by Tommy, Maria, Ian, Alaia, Cat, and Aster. Tommy gives Joel a look before coming over and giving Ellie a hug.

"Hey kid, you keepin' an eye on him?" Tommy says moving his head towards Joel who rolls his eye in response. Ellie smirks at Tommy before he moves his eyes to me, "How's it goin' Tate?"

"Good." I respond lowly while giving him a soft smile. He returns it before grabbing his stomach, "Well I'm starved! What's for dinner?" Everyone walks in while we walk towards the kitchen to grab the food and finish setting the table. Tommy keeps Joel distracted so we can work on setting the table without him wanting to help. I start to follow them in when I hear a knock on the door so I turn to open it. I swing it open and Rowan and Mia are there with something in their hand. I furrow my eyebrows at the box.

"It's pie." Rowan tells me and I continue to look at it confused, "My mom taught me how to make it. We were just able to find the ingredients." I give her a quick smile before opening the door wider.

"It smells good. I've never had pie before." I tell her.

"It's apple." Rowan gives me a strained smile while Mia snorts next to her. I just give them another soft smile.