Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Love roars louder than demons"

"Were you ever going to say anything?" Asad tried to take in his beloved Ammi's outburst. Just moments ago they had been drinking the evening tea­ –in silence– before she decided to slam the mug forcefully on the glass table.

"Say what Ammi?" he questioned baffled. Did she want him to apologize to Miss Faar...? He'd thought of it but...

"The truth, Asad." He could only stare.

Dilshad had had enough. He was a good son, an amazing son, but the churlish behavior he'd ungraciously portrayed in the past couple days was condemning.

Had this what she had taught him? She was disappointed.

She saw his face change from surprise to horror to embarrassment as she presented him with 'treasures' she'd found in his room that morning.

Asad looked at the tiny round gold earring reflecting the evening sun off it. He forced the tears back.

"I just wanted to..." he started after a minute's delay but stopped midway.

Dilshad noticed his voice break alongside the undereye circles that were much too dark.

"Wanted to what? Keep the girl's earring, or hide that fact from me"

He couldn't speak even if he tried to. There was no stopping her today.

"You have hurt not only the girl I think you are very much in love with but also your Ammi. Is your pride that great Asad? Is your ego that big? After all that happened in the last week, all that we've been through. You couldn't bother to admit it, to apologize?"

He let the shock wear off his body before he managed to form a sentence in a shaky voice "I didn't mean to hurt you or...her." He abruptly realized it wasn't time for riddles. Struggling was pointless. Useless. Hopeless.

"How could I hurt her when... the one feeling all this pain is...me" and then a cautiously plastered dam broke.

Dilshad didn't know what she expected but it wasn't this. The thought of seeing her strong son break down with head in his hands, body shaking with sobs hadn't crossed her mind.

She took a moment for herself and gave more to him.

"I think you know what to do Asad" her hand soothed his hair.

When he looked up, he realized his decision was made as soon as Zoya put a foot out his house.

A mere house, that's what it felt like. She'd taken his home with her.

**

It was her fault, she supposed.

Her fault for giving too much, going too far. But did she regret it? No. Not even a little bit.

When a man makes you feel things inconceivable, see things invisible, there is no place for remorse to go around. And how could she possibly repent knowing that face, looking into those eyes? Those black, angry, deep dark eyes.

Pen in hand, Zoya sighed looking at the dozen job options she'd picked for herself –concentrating, forcing.

What had he thought after she'd left? Did the absence of a voice, a smell, a face burn him as much as it did her? Did he see her everywhere he looked too?

Were there visions, dreams, familiar and unfamiliar? Did he stop in his day at all to think of her, just once?

She failed to notice when silent sobs took over  her. Did it hurt as much Asad? Do you have to pick yourself piece by piece everyday too? Do you?