chapter twenty one.

an/ title change to 'the girl in blue and bronze'
December 28th 1994

"You're all set?" Cedric asked, reaching over to place both hands on her shoulders, looking at her intently.

"Yes Ced, I'm packed for a week at my parent's. I think I'll be fine." Alleta teased him, one hand clutching onto the handle of her trunk, with Isla beside her, saying goodbye to George. Both girls were some of the few in their year who had accepted Dumbledore's offer to be sent home for a week after the Yule Ball, to come back on January 5th. After the incident with Fred in the halls, she was only to eager to have a few days to herself, without the risk of running into him again. So, Allie had spent the past 2 days in her dorm with her roommates, by the window and waiting for a letter response from her mum. In doing so, the 5 girls had gorged an absurd amount of sweet treats and christmas goodies. Having left the pit now, she didn't think she would be able to eat anything sugar based again for at least another month. During this time, there had been multiple crying sessions on Alleta's behalf, which meant that now, she was all cried out. It had been quite cathartic, really.

"Shove it, yeah? I just want to know you're alright? Or that you will be." The Hufflepuff whispered as he pulled her into a tight embrace, one hand moving to cup the back of her head.

Alleta rolled her eyes, yet there was a shadow of a smile that found its way across her features. "I'm not gone for long, but I'll write to you. Oh! Want me to bring you back some of those muggle sweets you liked? What were they?" Her words were hurried as she tried to remember what it was that Cedric refused to eat anything but, when he went to visit her in Surrey.

Immediately, his face lit up and he pulled back, gripping her shoulders once more. "Strawberry pencils and those flying saucer sherbet things! I swear I could kiss you right now." He chuckled.

Grimacing and scrunching her nose, she shook her head. "Ugh yes, I remember. I cannot believe you enjoy those flying saucers. They taste like nothing. But fine. I'll bring them back. A late Christmas present of sorts."

"Don't insult them. They're flawless. I'll probably save them until before the second challenge, for good luck and all."

"Have you figured out anymore to do with the egg yet?" She asked, her voice laced with concern. The task would be in February and they were slowly drawing nearer. The fact Cedric was no closer to discovering more about it was beginning to stress her out.

"Not quite- but I'll spend the rest of the break focussing on it, okay? Trust me, I'll figure something out."

"Fine. But if you find anything or need help at all, write me and I'll come back. I'm sure Dumbledore could easily arrange the journey."

"Not at all. Enjoy the time with your family, understood? We'll work on this closer together once you're back. Currently all we've got is the possibility that it involved banshee's, due to the screams. It's something, at the very least." Cedric offered up a smile. "Besides, I have my associates in Ravenclaw aside from you, and I'm rather smart myself. Have a little faith."

Despite his reassurances, Alleta couldn't shake the niggling feeling of doubt in her core. "Faith? In you? Please, that day will never come." She teased, pushing back her feelings and glancing over toward Hogsmeade station, where the Hogwarts express had now entered. "I best be off, I should catch up to Isla or she'll find a compartment without me and I may be stuck around someone like Flint or Malfoy."

"Go go go." Cedric laughed, releasing her from his grasp and shoving her forward gently, watching as she grabbed her trunk from where it rested on the ground.

"Bye then." Allie snarked half heartedly at his sudden shove, but it was quickly replaced with a smile while she began walking backwards. "Don't die!" She called out playfully, a greeting the two of them often used upon being separated for the holidays.