So it begins

POUNDING echoed through my mind like the sound of a stone in a gutter, painful and unwelcome

POUNDING echoed through my mind like the sound of a stone in a gutter, painful and unwelcome. Bright lights penetrated through my eyelids, piercing through my vision as my eyes fluttered open. The dingy stone ceiling lined with a grime of green entered my vision, along with the prying eyes of scientists and surgeons that crowded my unmoving body. My fingers twitched suddenly, my wrists pulling at the metal wrapped tightly around them. Upon further experimentation, I discovered both my ankles were bound too, causing me to thrash and rattle against the constraints.

"It's done." The sound of someone talking calmed me down, making me crane my neck to see where it came from.

"Good." Another voice sounded, followed by the clunky sound of boots walking towards me. "It's good to finally meet you." The malicious grin on the man's face was unmistakable as he came into my view, the tone of his voice sending sparks of fear through me.

...
"I never chose to do what I did, they fucking tortured me, the forced me." I spat, my wrists pulling at the ropes tying me to the metal chair behind my back. Steve scoffed and folded his arms over his chest, Natasha placing a hand on each chair arm and leaning down so she was face level.

"Then why were you there?" Natasha pushed, but before I could answer she was backing away again - almost as if the question had been rhetorical. She stood up with a push at the chair, running a hand through her red hair. She let out a frustrated groan before turning back around. "Who are you?!" Somehow her voice remained calm, but her actions were anything but. She slapped me across the face, my head snapping to the side with the force of it. But I stayed quiet.

"Why won't you tell us who you are, y/n? If that even is your real name?" Steve pressed, his eyebrows knitted together.

"It is! I promise!" I cried, pulling at my bindings even more. Why didn't they believe me? It's not like they couldn't guess. It was so frustrating, but I wouldn't put it past HYDRA - the people who took me from my already shit life and made it worse - to make it seem like I was the bad guy. Another slap landed on my cheek, my jaw clenching with anger. "Come on!" He shouted. "Tell us who you really are!" Steve continued to shout, shaking my shoulders, his face turning red.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

I swallowed thickly, awaiting a sharp quip. This time his fist hit my face, the world around me once again going black.

...
The rhythmic beeping soothed me out of my sleep, my eyes widening into the intrusively white light enveloping the room. My mind wondered, trying to link the day's events to my current situation.

I had started my day with a briefing with one of the HYDRA agents, like any normal mission I had. I was to find out exactly what Captain America and Black Widow were doing on the boat, without being seen, before reporting back to my superiors. Just like any other mission I'd been assigned to in the last three months. Spying on the Avengers - looking for weaknesses, strengths, secrets, weapons; anything to give them an upper hand when HYDRA finally enacted their plans to overtake SHIELD.

My fist connected harshly with the side of the man's head, knocking him cold and colliding into the wall. I shook my fist off and advanced, stealthily wandering down the now-deserted hallway - avoiding the lifeless bodies that scattered the floor. Rounding a corner I checked around, seeing two more guards stationed the other end. I slowly stepped around, catching the two men's sight almost instantly, their guns raising to shoot. In return my gun was raised too, but their actions soon halted at the melodic sound of my voice humming through the space.

As if in a daze, the guards turned to each-other, raising the guns to point at their companion's head. Terror in their eyes, they pressed down on the triggers and two small bangs emitted from the guns and the bullets propelled into their heads. Their bodies fell limp, slumping against the walls of the narrow corridor and I walked forward, the heal of my boot landing in one of the puddles of blood and leaving a sticky footprint trail behind me.

"This wasn't the mission." A male voice exclaimed.

"Maybe it wasn't yours." A female voice retorted, the clicking of keys on a keyboard constant through the argument. The sudden pause of the man made me pause, and before I could see or hear anything I was ducked down, hands on my ears and head whilst debris rained down over us.

A ringing plagued my ears as I slowly stood up, my vision blurred and unfocused. The haze of chaos around me unbalanced me, the sound of voices simply a muffled white noise as I tried to find my bearing. As I almost-blindly stumbled into the room, which was littered with slabs of stone an fragments of exploded technology, my consciousness slowly leaked from my being. The last thing I remembered was hearing the girl shout:

"Steve!" Before I landed in a pair of strong arms, which hoisted me up from under my knees and my armpits. The unconsciousness weighed out and black seeped through my vision, my mind shutting off finally.

HYDRA had brainwashed me, kidnapped and abused me. They set up a trigger - three words and I slipped form reality, mind linked with a superior of which I did not know until the words were repeated back or I suffered strong enough head trauma. My thoughts subsided at the sound of voices echoing in the room.

"Who is she? Why was she there?" Steve's voice sounded, followed by Natasha's.

"Is she okay?" She sounded slightly worried. An unfamiliar voice responded.

"She's fine, just a bit of a concussion and some stretches, she is..." his voice trailed off as I drifted back into sleep, my consciousness fading once again.

...

(Third person POV)
"She is an agent, she works for, um..." Bruce trailed off, looking at Steve with sympathy. His jaw clenched.

"What, Bruce? Who does she work for?" He pressed, rubbing his temples with his fingers.

"She works for HYDRA." Bruce finished, wincing as Steve's fist connects with the wall beside y/n's bed. Nat instantly moved to calm him, her hand wrapping around his shoulder as she whispered soothing words in his ear.

"Maybe you should go and see Tony, tell him about y/n." Nat offered, both their eyes trained on Steve as he left the lab. When he was gone Bruce turned to Nat.

"I think we should keep her sedated, until we know who she really is and just how important she is to HYDRA. I mean what if she's another super soldier or something? She could be two things very easily - extremely dangerous and also, on a brighter side, a huge bargaining chip." Bruce suggested, met with a nod from Nat before he walked out the room.

...
The thin metal handcuffed on either side of the small bed connected y/n's wrists to it, holding her down in case the girl somehow awoke from her medically-induced coma. The steady beep of the machinery surrounding her continued - echoing through the near-soundproof glass cell, one whole wall completely clear so anyone could watch over her if need be.

Tony had refused to see the girl yet - either too engrossed in what he was working on or so genuinely not concerned about her that he didn't even this she deserved his attention.

Nat looked on longingly, pity in her eyes as she watched the poor girl laying there - motionless, seemingly unbothered.

Footsteps echoed behind her until a figure was stood beside Nat, arms crossed over his muscular chest and a small scowl on his face.

"I can watch her." Steve assures, turning to Nat and giving her a nod.

"Really?" She asked, sceptical about leaving Steve alone with y/n in fear of him acting rashly. He gave he another nod and she sighed, slowly retreating from the corridor.

A/n: first chapter! Woooo! Sorry not much is really happening, but I have a lot planned with this story😊
(Also Sorry about any messy tenses - I started worsting in third person but changed my mind halfway through and I got bored whilst editing)

Remember to vote and comment!