Prologue

It is said that all Lambs are born on dark and stormy nights, as if the Gods are lashing out in anger and cursing themselves for being so careless as to let another child of theirs fall out of their reach and into the care of the humans. 

Every once in a while, a Lamb or two appears in the village, birthed by a bewildered mother who screams that she has been cursed. The only way to alleviate that curse is to leave the newborn child at the steps of an orphanage, a temple, or a palace. 

The child is passed on to the highest of earthly authorities: the elder king.

It is the king's responsibility to recognize the lamb as a deity in human form. The Lamb is then raised up in a life of luxury  until the Gods call for their member to come home.

There's no way for certain to know when a Lamb is to be called to leave their physical bodies, but it is necessary for the lamb to prepare at all times upon the occasion they are called home. 

Of course, there are telltale signs: natural disasters, famine, and the occasional disease outbreak. 

When life on Earth becomes nearly uninhabitable for its mortal occupants, there is more than enough motivation to send the lamb back to Mother Rock, the portal to the Godly realm. 

Humans are not permitted to access the true dimension of the Gods. To ensure no stragglers sneak in, it has been made impossible for any earthly flesh to enter.

Mother Rock is guarded by molten and flame. 

On the occasion where a Lamb is sent to Mother Rock, they must trek up the side of the mountain and take a plunge into the bubbling soup of lava in the mouth of a volcano.

The entire village must bear witness to the event from the safety of the base of the mountain. 

In the days following the sacrifice, the Gods send a sign of their pleasure by relieving the village of whatever darkness has taken hold of it. 

For drought, there are days of heavy rainfall.  For famine, crops start blooming and rivers begin swelling with bounties of fish. 

Once resources are replenished, the village can settle back into its comfortable pattern of safety, and all is calm. 

Until another marked child is born. And the process begins again.