Princesses will be the death of me

Rees put his suit on and fixed his tie, he grabbed the invite, and checked his hair. He was ready. He had told his parents he was going over to a friends for the day, and he'd be back in the night. He walked out the door and walked for around 45 minutes to the castle, there was a long line to get in and he gulped, 'What if all of this was for nothing? What if he doesn't get to meet the prince.' Thoughts rushed through his head seeing how many people were in line, but he brushed them off and took a breath. He can do this. When it was his turn to show his invite, he stood there nervously when the guard nodded and let him through. He couldn't believe he pulled it off.

  Nathan sat up in his room dressed and ready for the ball but not wanting to go down, he hadn't made a decision on who he wanted to marry and he needed to decide by tomorrow. He looked up at the clock and realized he needed to go down. He stood up and dusted himself off, and opened his door. He walked down the hallway and went down the steps, and into the ballroom and the guests looked at him. He walked through the people and nodded signaling they could go back to what they were doing. He saw many woman dressed up in beautiful dresses, and men in fancy suits. When suddenly he made eye contact with Rees in the crowd and felt something was different about him then anyone else in the sea of people. He started to walk over to him but his father walked in front of him and said,

"Nathan, have you made up your mind yet? you don't have much time. You know this."

"Father.. None of them work for me they're all lovely ladies but something just doesn't feel right about them.. but rest rest assured I'll make up my mind."

Rees watched the two of them have a conversation, wondering why the prince looked over at him, it looked like he was coming in his direction. But who knows it could've been someone behind him.

"You better hurry up and decide Natahn. You're 18 now, you need a wife." His father said glaring at him then walking off.

Nathan sighed and looked back over to Rees and walked over to him and said "Hello, you seem rather lonely? Do you not have a lady to accompany you here at the ball?"

Rees looked at him a bit shocked he was talking to the prince and responded "I- I uh don't have a wife-"

"Oh? Most people here have wives, rather shocking," He said with a chuckle "But I don't have a wife either.. Yet-"

Rees looked a bit confused "Yet? Do you have a fiancé? I don't really keep up with the royal news-"

"Oh no- I'm set to be married to a woman rather soon.. I don't have much of a choice in the matter, but thats how it is when you're in the royal family, you don't have much of a choice in anything."

"I'm sorry- I didn't know it was like that. Life can be hard as a low- upperclass person-" He said remembering he had to be formal "So, why of all the people here, do you come over to me?"

"I- I'm not sure, you seemed kind" He said with a soft smile.

The music would turn on and people would go on the dance hall and dance together to the ballroom music. Nathan looked over at Rees, "Well, we both don't have dance partners," He said reaching out his hand "Care to dance?"

Rees was a bit confused, the prince was asking him to dance? "Uh- Yeah sure.." He grabbed his hand and they walked over to the dance hall.

Rees put his hand on Nathans shoulder and they started dancing.

"I'm not that good a ballroom dancer, my grandma taught me when I was 10, she said it would be useful but I didn't believe her." Rees said trying to follow Nathans moves.

"And whys that?"

"Whys what?" Rees said a bit confused wondering how he was managing to keep up in the dance, considering he didn't have much experience.