A Human Concept

The second time Taro flew me down was cleaner; he stayed low to the ground and the landing in the same clearing was substantially smoother. The momentum, however, sent him plowing into me, toppling me to the floor.

"Sorry." He repositioned himself onto all fours and his wings curled away when I shoved at him. I was on my back, propped up on my elbows, his hips between my legs--

"Syndra!" A very familiar voice cried out just as my brother Timkem burst through the bushes. He was turning thirteen tomorrow; a boy on the way to becoming a man.

But the smile on his cheerful, rosy-cheeked face faded when he set eyes on Taro.

"Off!" I hissed at Taro, and he crawled away, scrambling to his feet just as I did.

"Timmie," I giggled as my brother ran up and embraced me.

"Who's he?" The boy asked cynically after pulling away. "Or rather, what is he?"

"Twice already I have to deal with human disbelief! Leave me be, goddamnit." Taro muttered, running a nervous hand through his blue-black hair.

"Timken, this is Taro Kingesley. Treat him with respect, he's an Elf," I told him before adding, "An important one."

"I've never met an Elf before," my brother stated ponderously.

"Now you have. I do bite, you know." Taro dropped into a crouch to meet the boy's height.

"Really? Do you have sharp teeth like in the stories?" Timken shot back; I wish I had also inherited that bold fearlessness.

"Indeed I do, little boy." The Elf bared his wicked teeth.

"You look like a girl."

"Is that an insult or a compliment?"

"Take it as you like."

Taro looked up at me, eyes gleaming. "I like him. He's the interesting sibling."

"Hey!" I cried out indignantly.

"Timken, Timken!" Another instantly recognizable voice seeped through the underbrush. My father emerged this time, in his dirtied, frayed outfit. His hair was not yet all grey, since he was only in his fifties. To a Senkyan human, however, a poor lifestyle and lack of proper nutrition and medical care led the average lifespan to be terrifyingly low. Thus my father may as well be an old man.

"Syndra," He sighed when he lay eyes on me, his voice cautious as he noticed Taro in his peripheral vision. "And is this the kind visitor that brought you home yesterday, too?"

The Elf strode up to my father, who promptly held out his hand to shake. Taro glanced at it, then ignored the gesture. "You are her father, correct?"

"Why, yes, I am."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Elwood, if I may call you that. Your daughter, you raised her well," He crossed his arms across his chest, an empty smile on his Elven face. His tone was definitely sarcastic.

"Thank you, Mr..."

"Kingesley. Taro Kingesley." His ears twitched, and I noticed my father's eyes dart to them, baffled.

"Syndra, you haven't told me anything about your job at the palace. I can't help but be curious!" Father changed the subject, his voice overly exuberant. He did that when he got anxious.

"You know I'm not allowed to tell you anything, Father," I murmured.

"But I can," Taro interjected. "If I may invite myself into your home."