02 - Ingredients

「AKATSUKI BASE」

"Are you saying we should recruit her?" A man with vivid orange hair asks the woman who stands next to him.

The woman, who has a paper flower decorating her blue lavender hair, shakes her head from where she stands besides Pein's desk. "She's young right now, but her natural skill is nothing to laugh at."

Pein doesn't move from his spot, "Then we'll wait until she's older."

"You haven't seen her for yourself though?"

"I trust your judgement."

Konan nods, her amber eyes lingering on the man besides her. "I'll continue to watch over her progress."

"Yuzuki Akurashi will be recruited once she's ready."

-----

「KUMOGAKURE SHOPPING DISTRICT」

"You're going to burn down your house."

Yuzuki pouts at the deadpan the boy besides her gives, his tone belaying his lack of enthusiasm. She turns up her nose and continues to sift through the ingredient packages in the store.

"Thank you for your faith." She says sarcastically in reply, then turns to pick up a can of coco powder, "Do you think she'll like chocolate?"

"I think she'll like it if her kitchen doesn't burn down."

Yuzuki hums, placing the can into the basket that contains other ingredients, and continues along the isle, "Chocolate it is then."

Haru plops down a cartoon of eggs into Yuzuki's basket, "Don't forget the eggs."

"Cupcakes need eggs?"

"I can't believe you right now."

The two five-year-olds walk down the isles, the blonde holding the basket of ingredients whilst the male constantly has to remind her which items required.

Yuzuki skips along happily, humming softly to herself whilst Haru looks at her in amusement. "You're really happy." He observes, to which she nods in response.

"It's mother's birthday- why wouldn't I be happy?"

"I'd think that you'd get the ingredients beforehand, not the morning that you're going to make it."

"Well you can't blame me for my bad memory!"

"I can and will blame you for your bad memory."

Yuzuki pouts at Haru, who just stares back monotonously. He rubs an eye bag-has he always looked so tired?-as if to prove his point of it being much too early in the morning for this.

She wipes away a fake tear from her eye, "I remember when you used to be just a wee-baby," she sniffles, "you wouldn't talk back to me-" patting Haru's head condescendingly she continues her woes-me rant, "oh how they grow up."

Haru pushes away her hand squawking, Yuzuki briefly notes that he's not flushed in bright pink as he usually is whenever she teases him, and pouts knowing that he's gotten immune to her taunts. "Hey- I'm older than you!" He says.

Placing a hand on her hip she scrunches her face, "Only by a month!"

"Two months!"

"Same thing!"

Continuing their light bickering as they pick out their ingredients, pay, and make their way out of the store- the light of early morning begins to rise, the covered sun still somewhat viewable from where the two children walk in Kumogakure.

"Why don't you do anything for your birthday?" Haru asks, biting into an apple he has bought from a market stand.

Not really having an answer, Yuzuki just shrugs lightly, "I do stuff for my birthday." she insists.

"But you barely even celebrate it, the most you've done is acknowledge that it was your birthday." It's a bit confusing as to why Haru's tone seems to be- suspicious? Passionate? Caring? "You've never invited anyone over for a party either." Haru adds on.

"I don't really have any friends." Yuzuki reminds him. It's not that she minded anyways, it wasn't like she was lonely.

"Really?"

"I'm too busy training."

"Well I'm your friend."

It's early morning, being the result of Yuzuki waking up at four am and suddenly having the urge to bake her mother cake for her birthday, the streets aren't crowded and the clouds are more heavy than at noon. It's a chilly morning, more so chillier than usual.

And yet being next to Haru makes Yuzuki feel so warm.

"You sure that you don't need parties for your birthdays?" Haru asks again, allowing Yuzuki to snap back to reality.

"Of course I don't need parties. You already give me enough."

Haru raises a brow, as if not believing her, "You're fine with one present from one person?"

"But it's Haru, so it's fine." because it is- it's Haru, Haru who cheers her on during training, Haru who wakes up at four am to go shopping, Haru who talks to her about the stars, Haru who makes her feel warm on the chilliest of days. "Besides, you braid my hair."

Haru stares at her, unimpressed. "How does that count as a present? I braid your hair everyday."

Yuzuki's hair has a small finger-length section dedicated to Haru braiding it every morning or in between training sessions, allowing Yuzuki to tie her red ribbon near the root of it.

"You really don't want another present?" The four year old boy insists, and Yuzuki looks at him- her eyes a little wider than usual in surprise at his persistence.

"Nope!" the basket filled with ingredients sways with her swinging arms, "I'm fine with just you being here!"

There's a moment of silence, and Yuzuki glances over to see Haru fiddling with his fringe, "You're fine with just me?"

Yuzuki huffs, "Well I like you!"

"Then- I'll make sure to always stay." Yuzuki blinks at his announcement as Haru continues, "Stay by your side, I mean."

Yuzuki slows in step, and tilts her head to the side, "Forever?"

He smiles, his eyes showcasing all his four-year-old innocence and suddenly Yuzuki feels warmer then before. "Forever."

A/N: I forgot to say this before but I've never watched Naruto and all my knowledge is based off of fanfics- so things are going to be very OOC