Chapter Two

"Hello Jared," the king said, not even turning behind him. Jared stiffened. How in the world did he always do that?

"King Yohunus," Jared said, with a bow. King Yohunus turned around. King Yohunus. He even looked evil. He had a pointed black beard, and curly salt and pepper hair. He wore lots of heavy necklaces and rings to show his wealth.  His eyes were dark and meancing, his long robes, golden crown atop his head.

"Ah yes. The assignment. Cell 1020 needs a... readjustment. Been demanding to see her again," the king scoffed, shuffling some papers around. Jared bit the inside of his cheek, emotions swirling around. Yohunus turned around.

"Well go!" he snapped, and Jared jumped up, heading to the dungeon. He gulped down any regrets he felt, trying to find any anger against this boy. He grabbed one of the whips and opened the dungeon door. His nose crinkled at the coppery smell. He stomped past all the cells and came to another door. Something grabbed his foot.

"AHH!" he yelled, kicking his foot. He looked down to see a woman-maybe the age of thirty- with deep green eyes glaring at him.

"How dare you disrespect the royal guard!!" he boomed, whipped her fingers. They sliced open, red skimming her knuckles. The woman barely flinched. Jared shuddered and continued on at a quickened pace. He was scared. To be honest he was. There were people-things-down here that wouldn't only give you nightmares, but have you squirming at every sound, screaming at the noises of the night. Jared pushed past the thought, opening another door to reveal a dark staircase. He took a deep breath and headed down the stairs.

He finally made it to cell 1020. He used the key and the door swung open. There sat the boy Jared hated. The boy looked defeated, and his fingers were covered in raw cuts.

"Well, well, well. How are you, Roland?" Jared laughed, cracking his whip. Roland bit the inside of his cheek.

"Let me see her," he demanded quietly. Jared tsked. Roland jumped up, another surge of adrenaline washing over him.

"LET ME SEE HER NOW!!!" he demanded, screaming. Roland shoved Jared against the wall. Jared's eyes flashed with fear until he came back to his senses, and pushed Roland to the floor. Roland sprang up just before Jared's fist met his stomach. Roland blocked it, punching Jared square in the face, sending Jared into the wall. The boys fought back and forth, punching each other, and shoving each other to the ground. In one swift movement, Jared had Roland against the wall.

"Time for you shot," Jared smiled, the blood seeping through his teeth. Roland's eyes grew with fear, and he tried to kick Jared off of him. Jared held him with one hand, pulling out a long needle. He stabbed it into Roland's leg, and Roland screamed in pain, falling to the ground. Jared threw the needle to the ground, wiping the blood off his face, and walking away from the shaking Roland.

***

Princess Jesma dabbed the corner of her mouth with a napkin, trying to be polite as possible. She knew the knights would report her. She sighed, not having anything to say to the boy across from her.

"You look very nice Jesma," Jared complimented with a smirk. Jesma gave a small smile, nodding, refraining from rolling her eyes. Jared smiled back and pulled out a velvet box.

Inside Jesma rolled her eyes with a scoff. Every time. Jared brought gifts that her father bought for him to gift her, every single week. It was getting old.  Always some expensive piece of jewelry that she would never touch.

Jared slid the box to her saying,

"I bought this for you." Jesma tried so hard not to scoff, but a little scoff slipped out. Jared put on his charm raising an eyebrow.