What Do I See?

You sat in the seat next to me, the only one left I'm afraid. I bounced my leg to cope with the shivers of agoraphobia and anxiety pulsing through my veins. You shivered as the breeze from the February outside swung in with the latest entrant.

"Are you here to take your driver's test, too?" You ask loudly enough for my dull ears to hear.

I looked over to you and I'd never froze like that in my life. The sun shone warmly through the glass and blanketed you in its fiery glow, reflecting off the highlights you so skillfully placed on your cheeks. Your hair perfectly half up and half down, straight white teeth bared for me to admire, you awaited a response.

I choked on the truth. "I've already taken mine, I'm just waiting for the license."

"Oh," you replied so quickly, your hair flowing and shaking with every expression you made. "Is it hard? I'm very nervous..."

I saw your eyes squint with the shy smile, your shivers no longer from the cold but from the same anxiety that bounced my leg. I couldn't bare see the genuine happiness turn fake, I knew it was my time to comfort.

"Everyone gets nervous, but it's not as hard as it seems. Trust me, mine was so easy," I said, finally smiling back.

It seemed the room was empty now, the noise died down and June arriving. You leaned towards me, your flipped locks accidentally grazing me as you looked into my eyes, my soul.

"Well you seem like you'd be better at driving than me," you laughed. "I probably won't fail though, you're right. I've been practicing for so long."

I smiled down to you, memorizing your face, seeing just how perfectly distributed your eyelashes were. Your golden skin complimented by your sweet perfume smelling of vanilla and caramel.

"You'll do great, don't worry about it," I said, trying to focus more on conversation than your beauty.

"Where are you from?" You asked. I could tell you genuinely wanted to keep talking to me, and I was flustered for a moment.

I took a deep breath as I glanced from your angelic eyes to your button nose and one last time to your eyes. "I'm from Denton, an hour south of here. How about you? Are you form Gai-"

"Number 37, Number 37 to the window." The speaker croaked. My mother stood and dragged me with her to the blue curtain.

I took one last look at you, nodding and smiling from afar, before I took off my glasses for the picture.

By the time I was done at the window, you had disappeared, fateful beauty and all.