Sounds Within Smoke and Rain (Courier/Swindler)

some spoilers for episode 10(slightly) and 11!! dont read if you haven't seen it yet!

x.x.x

His purple orbs scoffed at her bright, hopeful pink ones.

If memories served right, she was the girl from the takoyaki stand. The naive one who picked up the spare 500 yen that dropped from his pocket and onto the ground. When she attempted to return it to him, he flat out refused to accept it. He wasn't going to let another unlucky coincidence get in his way again.

Not after what it did to his mother and his right arm.

Courier clicked his tongue silently. That was all in the past now. Nothing he could do about it from just remembering an unfortunate event in his life. Some would say it was just bad luck - and maybe it was - it doesn't change the fact that he'd take another pointless risk like that again. It was definitely bad luck, which was why he wouldn't repeat that pitiful mistake again.

His thoughts began clearing up when his attention went towards the sky, the clouds parting ways just as the sun set. He had a distaste for everything around him. There's no reason behind any of these dislikes. It's just an opinion he cared less about.

Digging into his pocket, he pulled out the small box and slide it open. His prosthetic fingers tugged one of the cigarette out and placed it in between his lips. He stuffed the container back and pulled out a lighter from the same pocket. Hand slightly curving over the end of the stick, the fire flicked from the lighter and softly lit the end up. He allowed himself to breathe in the putrid air before taking it out (already putting away the lighter beforehand) and blowing out smoke.

A stress reliever - he couldn't bother with people and things around him. The whole mission was stressful, especially when he's forced to comply by these anonymous children. The collar around his neck was a reminder of such things.

Then again, he's getting paid more than he's bargained for. As long as he's getting his reward from this whole damn thing-

His ears perked up somewhat by the loud groan-mixed sigh from his left. From the corner of his eye, he glimpse over at that girl - Swindler, she called herself - leaning against the windowsill. Her expressions were easily noted from how outward she was: stress, tired, and in thought.

Courier was skeptical; he has every doubt and proof to be. He wasn't ignorant either, but he thought to play along. It wasn't his business after all. His eyes shifted back to the setting sun.

He was surprised by how dumb she was for not noticing him still standing by.

He was a man of a few words. That much was obvious.

He couldn't bother with conversations that didn't benefit him.

Yet, "how long will you tag along?"

He spoke out of his free will. It wasn't intended, but it was spurred from a feeling. Curiosity? What a load of bull crap he thought.

The girl in her early 20s yelped in surprise, as though realizing his presence. It was amusing to say the least. His face didn't seem to express it if that was the case. Her voice whispered his name in realization after she calmed, her eyes glancing over to the sky before down at him. How oblivious she must be.

Her appearance wasn't as outlandish as most, or notable for an Akudama(then again, who was he to judge). Nothing off about her clothes screamed out "Swindler" at all and her personality didn't help in the slightest. Maybe if he hadn't met her beforehand at the takoyaki stand, he wouldn't have been this doubtful. Even so it wasn't his concern. It was simple curiosity.