Chapter 40. Quidditch World Championship ☾

A/N: Any familiar content is from The Goblet of Fire pp. 86-92.

Lucius POV

Lucius watched as Draco slammed the door to his office. He sighed. He had wanted his son trained so that when the Dark Lord came, he would be ready to take his place in the inner circle. That, however, was seemingly more and more unlikely as time went on. It seemed to Lucius that he was losing his son to the light. He knew he had told his son that as a Gryffindor, he would be all but disowned, but now he was realizing how desperately he needed the boy.

Draco seemed very attached to Harry Potter. The two had become thick as thieves over the past three years. It was not until recently that Lucius realized that having Harry Potter as his son's friend may have some benefits. If he could convince Draco to continue to befriend Harry Potter, bring him around the manor, maybe he could take the boy and hand him over to the Dark Lord (if the man ever came to power again). It was a poor use of his son's friendship, but he could always hand over his son to the Dark Lord as well, to be a slave to him, if need be. But even if the Dark Lord never came back, Harry Potter was powerful enough that if he were swayed the "right" way, he too could become a dark lord. And who would be to thank for that? Lucius smirked evilly. He needed to find his son.

Lucius summoned Draco to dinner. Narcissa, as always, was out on a shopping spree. It would just be him and his son. Maybe tonight, he could broach the subject of his son's best friend.

"I know you have been in contact with Harry Potter." Lucius began. Draco got up from the table and made to walk out. "Draconis Lucius Malfoy, you have not been excused. Do not walk away from me." He commanded. Draco sighed and sat back down.

"What of it? I won't stop talking to him. He's my friend." Draco told his father. Lucius rolled his eyes.

"No, on the contrary, if you would like, you could invite him to come with us to the Quidditch World Tournament in a few weeks." Lucius suggested, taking his eyes off of his plate and looking into his son's eyes. "I obtained an extra ticket, and he is the world's youngest seeker. It would seem remiss of me to not allow you to ask him to accompany us, as your friend and fellow teammate."

"What do you get out of it?" Draco inquired, looking menacingly. Lucius put on an innocent look.

"To see my only son happy?" He lied. Draco rolled his eyes.

"Only a few hours ago, you were threatening to disown me, again. I do not begin to believe you want to see me happy." Draco argued.

"Do you want to bring the boy or not?" Lucius asked, disgruntled. Draco huffed.

"On the condition that you will not directly or indirectly cause harm in body, soul, or mind to him." Draco insisted. "And perhaps Uncle Severus could stay for the week."

"And he would stop me from hurting the boy?" Lucius considered.

"Of course, he has to appear to be Dumbledore's right hand, doesn't he? I don't believe the headmaster would be very pleased if his favorite student was caused harm in view of one of his staff." Draco cautioned. Lucius nodded in agreement, smirking.

"Perhaps there is some Slytherin left in you." Lucius noted proudly. Draco rolled his eyes again.

No POV

Harry was in the garden, pulling weeds and wondering if he could somehow sneak into the house to grab a glass of water. He was parched. He was also on rations again, and water seemed to be something the Dursleys felt they could allot to him as they felt led. He was happy Padfoot was by his side, soaking in the summer sun. At this moment, the blond dog was panting and rolling onto his back, as if asking for Harry to rub his belly.