ONE - Take Off

BEFORE

"Toni Shalifoe to the principal's office"

Toni cursed under her breath as she heard the familiar voice boom over the static filled speakers. Every syllable echoed and bounced off the corridor walls as she pivoted on her heels meet her fate. She felt her jaw clinch with the flicker of rage that gnawed at her brain as every pair of eyes set upon her.

She loved the attention of her classmates when it counted; but not like this.

She felt as the warmth of Martha's presence slowly slipped away the faster she walked, leaving her best friend stranded in the sea of teenage bodies crowding the buzzing corridor.

God she hated high school.

The only things getting her through the mundane onslaught were: Martha and basketball. In her mind, the rest could go to hell. And if she was being totally honest, Martha and basketball were the only things getting her through life.

She was practically itching for the moment she could leave this deadbeat place, far away from her foster family and the looming dark cloud of the Res. Her dreams were big despite her small stance. She would play in the WNBA, under all the stadium lights hearing the crowds scream her name.

Then reality would sink in a she would remember she was standing outside the principal's office, right before dooms day.

She knocked urgently, letting herself in after the third knock and draping herself over the creaky red chair set in front of Principal Reed's desk. She is accustomed to the routine.

'Toni, you're too good to be wasting your talent on petty fouls'

She would laugh, apologise and then do it all again in the following game. Like clockwork she would never learn; After all, she enjoyed the thrill bending the rules gave her.

Something felt different this time however. The air was thick and sticky, it clung to her lungs as she tried to read Principal Reed's solemn expression.

Fuck, she swore. He never looked this serious.

Sometimes, only in situations like this, did she wish she was religious. Because just maybe the big man upstairs would bail her out if she clasped her hands together and begged. Then she remembered she was gay and then the thought vanished almost as quick as it came.

Principal Reed cleared his throat before he finally met her gaze. Toni wasn't one to shift under someone's gaze, but she felt herself stiffen.

"Toni, coach and I have discussed it and I don't know how to tell you this I—"

Toni stood from the lumpy chair, her legs only shaking slightly with the sudden change of gravity.

"Spit it out. Please." She choked, the only sign that she was nervous as her body stood staunch.

"You are off the team, I'm sorry but your behaviour—"

She felt a bubble of laughter rise in her throat and then bile as she processed the older man's words.

You are off the team

A blind and all-consuming rage filled her small body soon after. It felt as though every synapses fired at once, sending a ripple of pure fury upon her muscles. She had no control.

"Toni we there's an opportunity for you to get back on the team. Please just hear me out."

She could only watch as she began her warpath. Knocking priceless trophies from their stand, years of school photos came shattering to the floor and papers flew everywhere. She couldn't even hear the shouts of her principal as he begged her to stop, eventually she did.