1- where we go from here

A/N: Photo is Kana Sarutobi

It was the afternoon, and the sun was shining golden rays on the newly minted team 7 as they sat in a semicircle on the rooftop in front of their sensei. Kakashi had just finished his introduction and pointed at Naruto, saying "now it is your turn, lets start on the right."

"Yosh! My name is Uzumaki Naruto," Naruto fiddled with his headband, excited to finally become a ninja despite the dubiously reliable nature of their new sensei. "I like cup ramen, and what I like even more is when-Iruka sensei pays for my ramen. What I don't like is the three minutes it takes for ramen to get ready. My dream, to become hokage and finally have the people of this village acknowledge my existence!" Here, he threw a fist in the air, looking wild and pumped up. Kana and Sasuke both looked at him, neither surprised by his goal as he'd go on about it on the daily, usually interrupting a lesson. Kana smiled pleasantly, wanting to be much of anywhere else than with the sun in her eyes. It shone so brightly that Kana had a hard time keeping focused.

"Hobbies.. pranks I guess." Naruto finished with a shrug. Then Sasuke took over, quickly ruining the cheerful mood. Kakashi's eyes narrowed at him, while Kana and Naruto remained confused at the grim nature of his dream, no, ambition.

"And now for the girl." Kakashi crossed his arms, leaning against the railing and Kana suddenly found all eyes on her. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them a second later they were bright with mirth. "I am Kana Sarutobi. I enjoy sashimi and kaiseki. My least favourite food is curry rice. My hobby is not cooking, despite this. My dream is to become a great ninja." She bowed her head to their sensei. Kakashi sighed, probably at the prospect of being saddled with three troublesome kids, but said nothing about it.

"So far from the introductions. Tomorrow we'll start our duties as shinobi-" Kakashi barely finished before naruto was jumping up and down demanding to know what duties this entailed. His face fell at the prospect of survival training, and fell into a shocked expression as Kakashi told them there would be a second test, one 66% of academy graduates were sure to fail. Kana gulped, and even the stoic Sasuke looked mildly nervous.

Kakashi only eye-smiled at them, and with a "oh.. and skip breakfast or you might throw up," he disappeared in a shunshin, leaving the three graduates to part ways. Naruto shouted out "Time for training!" and clambered down the fire escape, hopping away over rooftops until he was out of sight. Kana took the stairs, leaving Sasuke behind alone on the rooftop to brood. Whichever way he took home, he obviously didn't want to interact with his teammates.

The Sarutobi compound was not as large as some of Konoha's famed clan compounds, but it still demanded respect. The gates were of intricately carved wood painted red and gold, depicting their clan symbol repeatedly. Kana gingerly touched her dress as she stepped inside, fingers tracing the symbol. But she quickly had to stop, as a blur came running at her and threw itself into her arms.

"Hello Konohamaru-kun," Kana greeted the kid, spinning him around before she sat him down on the ground.

"How was your sensei? Oh, did ya get to do cool ninja stuff?" Konohamaru waved his arms excitedly.

"Not exactly, you see.." as Kana launched into an explanation of what had happened Konohamaru listened attentively, until she came to the end. "Wait that's not fair! You graduated already, why do you have to do another test?!" He asked, and Kana shrugged.

"Ninja life isn't fair little cousin. Besides, don't worry. I will pass that test easily and become a proud ninja of Konoha. Now, don't you have chores to do?" Konohamaru groaned, but started trudging back towards his house, grumbling about laundry and dishes. Kana took in the other direction, towards her own house. Her house was on the outskirts of the compound; a bedroom, and a kitchen. It was simple, but she was comfortable. After her parents passed the Sarutobi clan had taken care of her well, but she never had any foster parents, instead the entirety of the clan had done a little bit each to ensure she grew up ok. Kana didn't mind, in fact she was incredibly grateful. Her smile didn't slip once as she entered the empty house, kicking off her shoes and placing them neatly on the shelf.