best friends

Warnings: jealousy, unedited

Y/N had known Harry since her first year at Hogwarts. Becoming friends with Hermione Granger in her first year after they both went to find Neville Longbottom's toad.

She had always known of Harry Potter. Her parents going to Hogwarts around the same year as his, and when the news went all around the wizarding world, she had been really excited to see if she would meet him.

And there she was on the train next to Hermione as she opened the compartment doors. They both asked kindly about Neville's frog before realizing that in front of them it was indeed Harry Potter.

Y/N was too shocked that she was within his presence to say anything. So when Hermione left, she left too.

The golden quartet had become fast friends within their first year of Hogwarts. It wasn't hard. Since Hermione and Y/N had already become very good friends, and so did Harry and Ron.

They spent lots of time together at Hogwarts and staying with each other over the summer holidays.

Flash forward to their fifth year, nothing had changed. They were all still best friends but Y/N could feel some sort of invisible string that attached her to Harry. She always wanted to be around him, always wanted to comfort him, and always wanted to hold his hand.

She knew for sure these feelings were not platonic. She had dated a boy before Harry and felt this exact way, but it wasn't as strong. She couldn't pinpoint the exact moment she knew she liked him, but she knew it was sometime in their fourth year. It was nothing but a simple crush at the time. You'll get over it. She used to tell herself all the time.

But she never got over it. This little crush had become even more than something small. It was starting to feel like the first few times she ever saw Harry. Feeling like she wasn't worthy enough to be in his presence or talk to him.

It didn't help that every time she tried to talk to him in the great hall he was always looking somewhere else. Towards the Ravenclaw table.

Cho Chang. One of the most beautiful girls at Hogwarts Y/N thought. And it seemed Harry was always thinking the same thing. Always staring at her, always talking to her, always just trying to make a move.

It had become so annoying during Harry's Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons that Hermione had to sit her down for a minute or two.

This crush was hard for Hermione to deal with since she wanted both of her best friends to be happy. She wanted Harry to be with the girl he had liked since last year. But she also wanted her best friend to be with the guy she liked since last year.

Hermione didn't want to meddle with their relationship, and Y/N didn't want to either. Finding that just sitting in the background and watching him be happy was better than making him unhappy by taking her away from him.

__

Y/N, Hermione, and Ron had all gone to Hogsmeade together for this weeks trip. Valentines day weekend. The area was decorated with love hearts and gross couples snogging at every single corner.

Harry hadn't gone with them because he had asked out Cho.

Figures.

Y/N could see them talking from outside of Honeydukes. It made her roll her eyes so hard that everyone could sense she was annoyed.

"Y'know Y/N you'd be a lot more happy if you didn't keep looking into Honeydukes." Hermione sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I know. But I can't help it." She gave Hermione a sad smile.

"You could always slip Harry a love potion." Ron smirked. Y/N and Hermione stared at him coldly. "I cannot believe the things that come out of your mouth sometimes Ronald Weasley." Hermione snapped. Ron's smile faded. "I was only kidding. You know that right?" Hermione and Y/N walked away as he tried to catch back up to them.