1. Butterflies and Wooden Swords

To be a Doctor.

To be a Doctor is not for the recognition, for the power, nor for selfish needs.

When you're a Doctor, you prioritize and put the lives of your people first. It's simple as that.

When it comes to wounds, you prioritize, look for injuries to the head, or closest to the heart. But what if it's emotional?

You address it when you can. The body is as important as the mind, you would say. Both are one.

Being a Doctor means saving lives, looking out for others; even when they can't for themselves. Making decisions- especially the ones nobody wants to make.

It's based on strategy, instinct, and sometimes, even luck.

"Penelope, we were supposed to get the packages today. Did you receive the package for disinfectants, oils, and bandages?"

"Yes Doctor,"

You cross the list of your clipboard, "Okay. How about Zofran, Motrin, Amoxicillin...?"

"Yes Doctor. All intact. Everything is in good condition,"

"Good." You huff, "It has to be better than good Penelope. I'll be damned if I have to go through another attack without my supplies. This won't be like 5 years ago. Not again."

Penelope frowns after setting the crate of bandages aside, "It wasn't your fault, Doctor."

Back turned to her, you look outside your window. Two children play with wooden swords as a yellow butterfly passes by. You hoped no one would fall or get hurt.

You were just a recent graduate- two weeks barley settled into your office. Everything went according to plan, as you waited for a shipment of medications due in 3 days, wall Maria collapsed; costing the lives of many.

Three days. 3 days you managed your best to help the injured with little supplies you had.

How were you supposed to tell a 12 year old his mom wouldn't make it because you didn't have the proper medication?

Maybe you could've been prepared. Maybe just a bit more. You could've ordered that crate 2 weeks before. The day of your graduation. But instead, you decided to go out for drinks in 'celebration'.

Never in your life have you felt as selfish.

It was too late to go back.

"I know," you leaned against the window frame. The children continued to play nearby, their duel had grown intensely. This time though, the butterfly no longer stood on the wall where it once was.
You frowned.

"We can't change time. Only do our best to foresee any troubles in the near future to the best of our abilities,"

Penelope faintly smiled, "That's right Doctor,"