Chapter 15: A Slight Chance

Gagging, Sadie watched in horror as an orange-and-black snake slid up her nostril. She wanted nothing more than to yank it out, but she was paralyzed, held down by some powerful invisible force. Her eyes watered as the snake slithered upwards, disappearing further into her head.

Terror seized her as she felt the beastly coiling around her brain. She could picture its gleaming scales and forked pink tongue as it hissed triumphantly, mocking her. Whatever this thing was, it had her. Completely. Soon, she would be a puppet, a slave to this snake or whoever controlled it. And she was powerless to stop it.

"Sadie!"

The voice was familiar somehow, but distant.

"Sadie, it's me. Wake up!"

Sadie's eyes shot open.

It was a dream, she thought.

Aubrey and Master Padwe hovered over her, gently calling her name, urging her back into the world.

But panic returned, quick as lightning, as Sadie realized that something really was in her nose. She looked down to see a long, snake-shaped tube. She tried to yank it out, but Master Padwe had her arms pinned, his grip surprisingly strong.

"Sadie, please relax," Aubrey pleaded. "You were unconscious. So Master Padwe put this tube in to hydrate you. He's going to take it out, but you need to stop moving."

Sadie realized she had been writhing and struggling against Master Padwe. Taking a big breath through her mouth, Sadie relaxed her muscles.

"Ready?" Master Padwe asked.

Sadie nodded slightly.

Slowly and gently, Master Padwe pulled the tube out. Sadie gagged as it snaked its way upwards from her gut to her throat. Seconds later, it was out. Sadie took a deep breath through her nose, then coughed.

"Are you o-o-okay?" Tim asked.

Sadie looked around. She was in a narrow bed with white sheets, high off the ground—the infirmary.

"I think so," Sadie said. Her voice was so quiet and raspy she barely recognized it as her own.

Master Padwe handed her a glass full of some blue-tinged liquid that smelled of salt and herbs.

"Drink," Master Padwe said.

With a trembling hand, Sadie brought the glass to her lips. Bitter, but refreshing. She finished it four swallows, barely pausing to breathe. She hadn't realized how thirsty she'd been.

"Okay, that's enough for now," Master Padwe said, taking back the glass.

"I thought you were really t-t-t-tough," Tim said, smiling. "Until an egg knocked you out."

"Not helpful, Tim," Aubrey scolded.

As much as the thought of the cuckoo still disturbed her, Sadie forced herself to smile. She couldn't tell them why she was so scared, not without revealing her secret power or the truth about her father.

"Tim, Aubrey, why don't you go to dinner," Master Padwe said. "Sadie needs her rest."

The two of them waved goodbye and left, leaving Sadie and Master Padwe alone. And yet, somehow, she felt safe in the silence. There was comfort in his presence.

"I understand that everyone left Master Dao's class exhausted," Master Padwe said. "But only you left unconscious. Can you tell me why?"

Sadie pulled the sheets up to her neck. She was unsure how much to tell Master Padwe. The whole truth was out of the question, but she had to give him something.

"I wanted to prove myself," she said finally.

"You already have," Master Padwe said gently. "It's why you're here."

He handed Sadie back the glass of blue liquid. Sadie sipped it carefully, considering what to say next.

"I meant to Master Dao," Sadie continued. "Because I want to be a—"

"A Warrior, I know," Master Padwe interrupted.

He knows? Sadie thought.

"Don't look so surprised," Master Padwe said. "It was in your application. And you said so to Priestess Wu. Which means you were probably disappointed to discover that your mentor was a Healer."

Sadie looked into the glass, avoiding his gaze.

Of course, he knew, she thought.

"And now you're worried that we'll give you a Healer's beastly, correct?"

"Maybe."

Sighing, Master Padwe took the now-empty glass from Sadie and placed it on a nearby table. "Sadie, a good teacher is like a parent. Our job isn't to give you what you want. It's to give you what you need."

"So, there's no chance you'll change my beastly?" Sadie asked.

"A very slight chance, yes. But remember what I said. And try and be a little more careful."

Sadie nodded, but she wasn't listening. Not really. Because as slight as it was, there was still a chance the Masters would change their mind.

And a chance was all she needed.