Chapter 12

Lagertha held me in her arms as I looked down at Torstein's body on the floor. By now, the whole village was here and surrounded my home.

Bjorn stepped forward and looked down at him as I cried silently into mother's shoulder, "My friend Torstein has been murdered." He spoke and a loud sob left my lips, "I swear by all the gods, whoever did this will pay a heavy price."

Floki roughly grabbed Bjorn and held his head, "We'll find the guilty one. And we shall flay the skin from his body and use horses to tear him apart." He began to sob and he pulled Bjorn into his embrace.

My cries radiated through the crowd as I slipped to the ground. Women all around tried to comfort me but nothing worked, he was still gone.

The night ended quickly. I spent the majority of the day in my cabin sulking. A knock came from the door and soon Ragnar entered along with Floki. I looked up at them and I felt the lump in my throat return. Tears began to build in my eyes and my lips curled out. My heart ached.

Before I could speak, another pair of footsteps entered. My breath hitched as I ran into Torstein's arms. I sobbed into his chest and held him tight. He shushed me and calmly stroked my hair.

I pulled away from him and saw how well he looked, "How are you alive!" I bellowed.

"That is what we are here to discuss," Ragnar spoke.

Torstein smiled, "I am alive that is all you need to worry about."

I hugged him once again. I pulled back to look at him again. My hand raised and smacked him across the face, "Never do that to me again." I growled at him. They chuckled and I looked back at them, "What is going on? Why would you have to fake Torstein's death?"

They led me through the cabin to sit at our table. We all sat around together as the fire spit out, "Horik wanted me to kill someone close to Ragnar," Floki explained, "That is when I brought Torstein into the idea and then your father."

"Why would he ask such a thing?" I questioned.

"Because he wishes to overthrow Ragnar—which he plans to do tonight." Floki said and I looked down, "Last night I was told to try and kill Bjorn, that is when I knew exactly of his plan. Tonight his men will raid Kattegat and slowly kill all of Ragnar's children and grandchildren."

I stood up abruptly and looked over at Rekkr who was taking a nap, "We have to do something, we must prepare."

Ragnar stood up, "That is why we are here. Siggy informed me that Horik has asked her to kill my youngest sons and yours. She will take all the children somewhere safe while they invade, I have already made sure of it. Your mother will be responsible for Gunhild, Horik's wife. Floki will be responsible for Bjorn and the invaders along with you and Torstein." I nodded slowly.

I looked around the room, "What of my uncle?"

"He can defend himself, I've already made sure of it," Floki answered.

"Alright," I nodded, "I must prepare."

Ragnar and Floki left, leaving me alone with Torstein and Rekkr. I picked up my son gently and readied my things for him in case anything were to happen.

A soft knock came from the door and Torstein and I both looked at it skeptically, "Eira," a voice came, "It is I, Siggy."

I sighed in relief and quickly crossed the room and pulled her inside. She scanned the room and saw Torstein getting ready to fight.

"Thank you, Siggy," I hugged her, "thank you for everything."

She kissed the side of my cheek, "I have watched you grow into a woman, I was there when you gave birth to your first son, you are my family."

I nodded and placed a long kiss on Rekkr's forehead. Torstein walked over to us and wrapped his arm around my waist. I pulled away from Rekkr and Torstein placed his hand on the top of my son's head and kissed the top of his head. I smiled sadly up at him and passed off my son to Siggy. I embraced her again and she left.

We stood in place for a few seconds and I buried my face in his chest. He rubbed my back and ran his hands through my hair. After a few minutes, we went back to preparing our things.

From outside, I heard the horn blow. I looked at Torstein instantly and grabbed my shield and sword. He waited by the door for me.

I walked over to the side of the door near the opening, Torstein stood behind the door to open it, "You ready?" I questioned while looking at him.

He smiled, "Might as well be."

We both nodded at each other and he opened the door. I walked out first with him close behind me. Almost the second I walked out, a man charged at me with his sword. I blocked his attack with my shield. He swung a few times at me and then I pushed him with my shield causing him to fall back. I stabbed him in the chest and looked over to Torstein.

We walked through the pathway when three men came at us. I sliced the neck of one of the men and then spun around to stab the other in the throat. Torstein finally killed the other one with the struggle by hitting him repeatedly with his shield. He wiped off the blood and we ran to the Great Hall as fast as we could.

When we got inside, Lagertha, Ragnar, Bjorn, Floki, and Aslaug all stood in the middle by the fire. Lagertha ran up to me and hugged me tightly. I smiled and nodded at her and glanced back to Torstein.

"They will be here any minute." Ragnar said, "Lagertha, Eira, wait outside for his men to come in. When they are here, surprise them. That is when you, Torstein, will show them you are alive." He turned to Floki and then you will come out, and then I." We all nodded and took out places.

I kissed Torstein quickly and headed to my spot and awaited Horik and his men. When they burst in through the doors I stayed in my spot for a little while longer until Torestein stood up causing Horik to frown. A few of Horik's men passed me to get a better look and I slit each of their throats and pushed them to the ground. Lagertha did the same and we both inched forward. I smirked at Horik and Erlender as I cleaned off my sword with my sleeve.

My head tilted at them as Floki stepped out and moved his head about, "Floki, you have betrayed the gods." Horik told him.

Floki grinned, "No, King Horik. I only betrayed you. I was always true to the gods and Ragnar." With those words, Father, Bjorn, and Aslaug stepped out of the hallway and into the room

I saw Horik swallow roughly at the sight of Ragnar, "Ragnar, if you can find it in your heart, spare my son."

There was a long pause before Horik dropped his sword to the ground. One of Lagertha's warriors held Erlender and placed a dagger to his throat. Horik began to walk forward. As he reached Lagertha, she struck him in the back with her sword. He grunted in pain but continued forward. Bjorn ran up to him and sliced his front and stood next to our mother. Torstein stabbed him in his side. I walked forward up to him and slashed his arm. With every blow, he sighed and grunted and winced in pain, but he continued to walk.

When he reached Ragnar and Floki, he fell to his knees. Floki looked down at Horik and scoffed at him. Siggy walked out from the hallway and over to Ragnar. She glared at Horik the entire time. The shock on his face was permanent in my head. She pulled out a dagger from her cloak and handed it over to Ragnar. She took one final look at Horik before walking past him and leaving.

Floki and Bjorn followed her out. One by one we walked out of the Great Hall leaving Ragnar with Horik. I walked to Torstein's side and stopped in front of Horik and my father. Torstein waited by the door for me. I leaned down and took hold of Horik's beard and pulled it up. I grinned at him and slapped him across the face before standing straight and spitting down at him. I turned around and left the hall with Torstein.

From inside I heard the gasps from Horik and the screams of anger and frustration of my father. Soon the movement had died down and the screaming came to a halt. A new king was in charge of Norway. A new family was bound to lead. And may the gods have mercy on the souls who dare to test them. . . who dares to test King Ragnar Lothbrok of Norway.