Ava | Chap. 23

His body became stiff at the question, and I instantly regretted asking him anything in the first place. But somehow and for some reason my instincts made me worried of his sudden leave. That and, I was genuinely curious to know what could be bothering him, I mean he just got up and left. I held the edge of my shirt into my fists, twisting the fabric around my fingers into tight knots. He gazed over his shoulder, and I swear his pupils shrunk like those of an owl spotting its next meal. I repressed a cold shiver from flowing down my back; am I disturbing him that much?

"The hell you want?" He groaned, which made me notice he seemed to be exhausted almost as if he was drained of his- oh wait... was he playing with...?

I shook the disturbing thought away and used all of my sanity to stop myself from looking down to check for any unzipped flies. Just focus on your question, and leave it at that. He growled and turned more of his body towards me which conveniently confirmed he wasn't having a wank off session -thank the goddess- but his icy stare still bore into my very soul and glued me to my spot.

Jeez, he is one scary dude when he's angry. That or I am officially the last person he wants to see...

Despite my anxiety, I took a deep breath and asked, but my throat felt so tight, I thought I was about to throw up. "I uh... I was just checking on you. Making sure you're okay...

- Did I ask for your petty?" I flinched, taken aback by the sheer tone of his voice. Oh god, now I've done it. Maybe I should just leave the hunting to the others...

"I-Uh, I- wanted to ask... Uh...

- Well!?

- I wanted to ask you permission to hunt. I spotted a few rabbit dens nearby-

- You? Hunt?" He scoffed, rolling his eyes like some exasperated teen. "Don't make me laugh." He waved his arm around dismissively, refusing to take me seriously even though I was dead serious. Am I THAT much of a joke to him?

"I'm not trying to be funny..." I mumbled the phrase under my breath, certain he wouldn't hear me. Boy was I wrong. It took me a few seconds to realize what was going on, but I was already an inch away from Jace's furious gaze by that time as he spat out his words.

"Do you honestly think an excuse of a Wolf like you can hunt? Do you remember your place, or do I need to refresh your mind!?" I could feel his presence towering over me, but my Wolf informed me something felt off about Jace. Not only did I notice his presence felt stronger and more oppressing, he seemed... I don't know its hard to explain... I didn't have time dwell on the question though, since I was already focused onto not getting my ass kicked.

"J-Jace, I-I know I'm the Omega but p-please, Alexandra needs food, she's starving. We all are a-and we're wasting energy hunting down bigger prey in foreign land." The words blurted out of my mouth while I guarded my hands before my face, afraid I would get hit.

Yet again, my stupid blabbering only made things worse. I could hear his knuckles crack as he clenched his fists. "Are you questioning my orders?

- No! I would never! I just want to help!

- Then be the nice little Omega and GET BACK TO YOUR POST!!" He barked out the order with more anger than authority and my Wolf cowered in fear. She whimpered and cried, begging me to flee. I on the other hand, was frozen in place, fists and eyes clenched in terror. I wanted to run away, my Wolf howled to obey to her Alpha, but my body just wouldn't budge! Which, needless to say, didn't help my cause at all; Jace was beyond furious. More than I've seen him be so far. I could hear his heart beat hastily in his chest, I could see his veins bulge out of his neck and his fists hunger for violence. But the hit never came and instead, he just mumbled under his breath.

"Get... out of my... sight." This time, I didn't waste a second and walked back to where I came from, while my heart wildly thumped through my chest.

I had to lean onto a tree a few feet away as I felt a sudden discomfort and feared I was about to black out. But I managed to steady my pulse and catch my breath.

Mate... My Wolf whispered, but I was too shaken up to pay attention to her words. A part of me wanted to cry. Another part wanted to slap him in the face and scream at him for being such a jerk. Why did I have to be stuck with such an egotistic asshole as Alpha?

My chest swelled with anguish as I took my leave and returned to camp. I slumped onto the stump of a dead tree and absentmindedly starred at the ground. I was so lost in the depths of my thoughts, I didn't notice the warm presence that sat at my side.

Cade laid a strong hand onto my shoulder. "You feeling okay?" I wanted to nod, but my face scrunched up into a frown and I shook my head instead. My bodyguard began to gently rub my back in an attempt to comfort me.

I held back a sniffle as the words slipped out of my mouth. "Why am I here...?"

My eyes were still glued onto the ground, but I could tell Cade's gaze had also lowered and he seemed deep in thought. A sigh escaped his throat. "Ava, your very important to us. More than you think!"

I couldn't stop myself from interrupting. "Why, though? Jace doesn't like me and... I'm just a puny Omega...

- Don't say that!" I flinched at his tone, startled by the sudden shift in his voice. I turned hazel pools of confusion to his icy blue eyes, hoping for an answer.

But it never came.

Cade's eyes shifted as he thoughtfully stared at the ground, his hand still pressed against my back. Without a word, he stood up and left, leaving me alone in my corner. Call me a wuss, but I felt tears sting at my eyes and I I quickly wiped them away with my sleeve.

Am I so pathetic, even my bodyguard is fed up with me?

In a desperate need for comfort, I pulled out my mother's chain from beneath my blouse, and held the silver wolf head in my palm, stroking the ruby eyes with my thumb.

I miss you Mom... I hope your happy, wherever you are... I hope you've found, Dad... and you're happy.

"What's with the frown, love? Feeling a little homesick?"

-*-

Consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT for more!