1

Wind whipped through my hair causing it to fly around my face, a huge grin on my lips. Despite all of the things I'd been through and seen in my life, nothing made me more excited or happier than feeling that crisp ocean breeze, the sting of the salt water against my cheeks, and gazing at the sight of a pure blue sky above with a calm ocean below. 

Even after an entire month on the Dawn Treader in open waters, I never seemed to get tired of it. I could easily see why men chose to live their lives on ships. There was something so freeing about not being tied down to the earth under your feet and letting yourself be at the mercy of the sea and it's creatures. That, and there were no major responsibilities other than chores to make sure the ship ran smooth. Even though I loved home with my entire heart and I loved being queen, I couldn't deny that I also loved the freedom that came from this ship. 

While I had reservations about coming on this quest with Caspian, I now considered it one of my best decisions. A small part of me still feared that when I returned home, Trumpkin would tell me how I had missed Edmund and Lucy's return to Narnia and my heart would be crushed. But, as another sea breeze kissed my cheeks I found that I wasn't as worried as I normally would have been. After all, I had to trust Aslan who had told me almost 3 years ago now that Edmund and I would meet again. 

I had to believe in that no matter what.

Noise on deck broke me out of my reverie as the lookout began calling down to Caspian and the rest of the crew. 

"3 overboard! Off the port bow!" I looked over my shoulder and shared a look with Drinian, Caspian's first mate and captain of the ship when my brother and I weren't on board. I couldn't recall the sound of splashing, other than the gentle lapping of waves at the sides of the ship as it sliced through the water. There hadn't been an uproar like there normally would be if someone fell overboard, let alone enough noise for 3 people. Also no one on deck, who surely would have seen someone go over before the lookout had, raised any alarm. A quick survey of the deck also showed that almost everyone was accounted for other than those who were needed below deck like the cook.

The majority of the crew drifted to the port side to try and see who was in the water while I stayed on the raised platform with Drinian near the wheel. I saw Caspian lean over the side of the boat, look back to a few of the crew members around him, then leap into the water with several crew members right behind him. I let out a deep sigh and Drinian raised an eyebrow at me.

"Is he not worried that whoever is in the water isn't friendly?" I asked. "I swear he does things without thinking sometimes. He just goes with his gut and raw intuition." 

"Aye, but one could argue that's what makes him such a good king," Drinian said and I sighed again, this time a small smile tugging at my lips. 

"I guess I can't argue with you there," I said then turned back to the deck to watch what was happening. From my vantage point I could just make out that Caspian had reached the first person although I was too far away to make out any of their features. After a minute or so, they both turned and began to swing back towards the ship with the other 2 newcomers close behind with the other crew members. 

Immediately the pulley was readied and dropped into the water for Caspian and the stranger to stand on so that the crew could pull them up to the ship without the hassle of a ladder. A few minutes later, my brother appeared completely soaked through. The stranger was on the far side of the board they stood on, so Caspian's tall frame blocked my view. What I could see though was Caspian's face. He was smiling brightly, which confused me. It wasn't that Caspian never smiled, but he looked as if someone had just told him the best joke he'd ever heard. It fact, he had just dove into the freezing water after these strangers who mysteriously appeared next to our boat, and had come back looking happier than I'd seen him in several years.