This Night

"Run." That's all Caleb hears. His master's soft voice filled with fear. She ignites her Lightsaber facing the whole clone battalion with their blasters pointed directly at the two Jedi. What's going on?! Caleb's mind races with questions, much like it usually does. 

       "Styles? Grey?" Caleb whispers to himself. Barely able to believe that the clones; his friends are going to kill him. He freezes as Master Billaba starts fighting for both of their lives. Kaylon and Remo go down. He watches as Mixx... loses his head. 

       "Padawan! Run or fight but do not just stand there!" Depa's cry interrupts Caleb's thoughts. He shakes his head slightly and reaches to his belt igniting his blue Lightsaber in a second. 

       "Yes Master!" He calls out using the Force to push a clone out of the way. Caleb reflects two blaster shots aiming them at the clones who fired. Soot and Big-mouth are killed as soon as the blaster fire hits them. 

       The clones start circling the two Force-users and Caleb starts to get worried but he continues fighting along side his master. 

       "There are too many. They'll soon cut off any escape." Depa calls out over the blaster fire to her panicked apprentice- "Caleb, we cannot win this battle... You must run!" She instructs him sternly. Caleb hesitates looking back at his master. He has a chance to run. A chance to live. 

       "Go! I'll be right behind you!" She calls out blocking gun fire from hitting Caleb. He turns his back and looks towards Depa. She's lying. She's never lied to me. Ever. Caleb closes his eyes, he breathes out and when his eyes reopen they are full of determination. 

       "What are you waiting for!? Go!" Depa yells at him one more time but Caleb disobeys he charges forward to stand beside his master. He thrashes his Lightsaber in front of him blocking every shot that comes near. 

       "Sorry Master, but I'm not leaving you!" He turns his head and gives Depa a real smile. She feels a calming wave wash over herself seeing her young Padawan determined to win this fight. She nods and gives a smile of recognition before turning back to the fight. 

       Both of their bodies ache with exhaustion. It seems like the battle will never end. Caleb runs forward and strikes down one more clone. Their effort and will to live has given them enough strength to take down a whole army on their own. Only two remain in the whole battalion. Grey and Styles. Depa steps forward placing a hand on Caleb's shoulder signalling him to stand down. 

       "Good soldiers follow orders. The Jedi must die." Styles states blankly while Grey looks unsure even from under the helmet. Depa raises two fingers in the air and waves them back and forth twice. 

       "The Jedi Depa Billaba and Padawan Caleb Dume are dead. They were killed by their clone battalion." She says in a whimsical voice, like nothing had just happened. 

       "The Jedi are dead." Grey says. He takes off his helmet and looks at Depa. He suddenly hits the side of his head with pain in his expression, "I'm sorry General Billaba but you need to run." He says quietly. Styles turns around.

       "The Jedi are dead." He says it in a robotic voice. Caleb looks up and realizes Grey isn't under the mind trick, only Styles. Grey is disobeying orders from whoever told him to kill the two on his own. 

       "Good-bye my friend. May we cross paths again." Depa dips her head down in a bow while Caleb looks around at the bodies surrounding them. Depa starts to walk towards the city, Caleb follows closely behind her. Styles stays where he is but when Caleb turns his head one more time to look back. Grey stands watching them leave holding his hand to his forehead in a salute. 

       Depa Billaba and Caleb Dume will never forget this night. 

How'd you like the first part? So in case you are wondering: yes clones can be mind tricked and yes Grey overcame his chip (which he did in the comic eventually) 

Constructive criticism is welcome