Day 14: Ring

She's nervous. But that's understandable, right? Anyone would be nervous when they're about to step onto the stage in the biggest competition in their lives.

Se-ri bounces a little on her skates, trying to ward off the last of her nerves as she waits for the all clear for her and Jeong Hyeok to step on the ice. This was what they were aiming for all their lives, from the early years of their partnership — to skate over those Olympic rings on center ice and win.

Jeong Hyeok takes her hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. She turns to the side to look at him and while he has his game face on, she can also see the mix of excitement and nerves in his eyes. She squeezes back, knowing exactly how he's feeling.

Ri Jeong Hyeok has been her constant since she was seven, when they were paired up to be an ice dance team at her skating club rink in Seoul. This particular skating discipline wasn't popular in Korea as most tended to do singles skating. But Se-ri wasn't a fan of the big jumps required for it and was fascinated by the few ice dancers she saw in person and in competitions she watched. The idea of doing something akin to ballroom dancing on ice seemed magical to her. Luckily, she found a kindred soul in Ri Jeong Hyeok and the two have been together ever since.

What followed next was years of hard work, tears, losses, and victory. Eventually, they reached the top of their field and their popularity in their home country reached the levels of Kim Yuna before them. Many even dared to say they are the greatest of all time.

It's a lot of pressure but both Se-ri and Jeong Hyeok forget all that when they step on the ice and the music starts. In those minutes they skate to their program, they're only focused on each other and the characters they're portraying on the ice. Nothing else mattered.

That determination and drive brought them here today, a step away from Olympic ice. There are a lot of expectations on their shoulders. Not only are they representing the host country for this year's Games, they're also the favorites to win. At least, they are if they can beat their French rivals. The two teams have been fighting for gold in every competition they've gone to together in the past two years and anything can happen in this sport, figure skating politics aside.

The volunteer by the entrance to the rink opens the door and both Se-ri and Jeong Hyeok step onto their stage. They skate a few paces to warm up their muscles while waiting for their names to be announced. Their hands are clasped tightly together, movements as in sync as they have been all these years.

"We've got this," Jeong Hyeok tells her over the cheers from the crowd.

Se-ri gives him the tiniest of nods, not saying anything as she starts getting into character. Picking a song from a Kdrama OST was an unusual choice for the Olympic season but after hearing the song, Se-ri and Jeong Hyeok felt that it was right. They fought hard for it with their coaches and here they are now, about to skate it at the Olympics.

"The next skaters, representing South Korea, Yoon Se-ri and Ri Jeong Hyeok!" the announcer booms over the speakers and impossibly, the cheers from the home crowd grow even louder.

After sharing one last look before their skate, Se-ri and Jeong Hyeok get into their starting position, right above the Olympic rings frozen in the ice. A tense silence fills the arena as they all wait for the music.

And as the opening notes of Baek Yerin's Here I Am Again starts to play, it's showtime.