Prologue

"Awwww, aren't you too cute!"

"Kaiden, you don't have to worry about asking for our blessing, it's all yours!"

"Yes, feel free to pop the question anytime! We'll be waiting here... patiently."

Turning a bright shade of scarlet, Alex buried her face in Kaiden's shirt as her parents approached and she felt his chest heaving with silent laughter beneath her.

"Please, stop talking!" Came Alex's muffled cries as the room around her erupted into laughter.

"Alex, we're just excited!" Rachel smiled warmly and Alex decided to face everyone again. "You two make such a lovely couple-"

"And I think that's enough for tonight," Bear announced suddenly, catching Alex's pointed - now turned thankful - glare. "I, for one, am going to turn in."

"Wha- ow- I mean, yes, I'm going to head up to. You coming Dix?" Massaging his side, where Bear had elbowed him, Jordan stood and reached out a hand for Dix to take.

"Sure, I'm getting pretty tired." For extra effect, Dix let out a yawn and took Jordan's hand, leaning against him as they walked up the well worn stairs of Bear's home.

"I guess we better be going." Rachel smiled and leaned down to kiss Alex on the head.

"Do you want me to call Soraya or Xira to give you a lift?" Questioned Alex and she sat up, hand intertwining with Kaiden's.

"No, I think we'll give bubblers a try again, hopefully we don't end up lost in the forest this time..." Jack said, reaching into his pocket to pull out two bubbler vials. "We bought an extra one just in case."

"Yes, we don't want a repeat of last time. Remember? I dropped the bubbler on the ground and didn't have time to step through."

"Yes, I remember that. We tried to call you but we couldn't work out how to use the little phony-hologram thing. How long did it take us to work out how to call your number again?"

"You mean the TCD's? And, I remember you calling me at about 1 am, after walking around town for hours trying to find my house." Alex laughed and hugged her dad as he reached down to say goodbye. "I'll see you guys tomorrow?"

"Yes you will. I love you sweetheart. I love you too, sonny." Jack said as he and Rachel hurried away, laughing at the glare Alex shot their way. Kaiden rested a hand on Alex's arm to stop her from tackling her parents with no remorse whatsoever.

"Just ignore them Alex. Who knows, maybe they'll actually be able to call me son one of these days." Laughing, Kaiden kissed the frown forming on Alex's brow and stood. "I'm going to sneak a slice of Grammy's apple pie, you coming?"

"Fine, but don't think you're forgiven yet!" Alex reaches for his hand and stands, running a hand through her tangled hair as they walk towards the kitchen.

Sweat dripped down her forehead, Alex layed in bed, she tossed and turned. Her head was full of images of the war. Dead bodies scattered around her as she stood alone, facing the shadow of a body in front of her. As she watched the shadow start to grow, it twisted and turned, forming a large monster that loomed over her with a cackle that echoed Aven's maniacal laughter.

"Hey!" A shriek filled Alex's head, piercing and shrill.

"Alex!" Alex felt her arm being shaken by a firm grip and she was wrenched from the nightmare. She exhaled a shaky breath, but still heard the shrieks, like a monstrous drill driving though her head.

"Shhh! Shhhh.... Alex, are you ok?" The voice turned from a shriek to the comforting, familiar voice of Kaiden. After sitting up, Alex wiped tears from her cheek and turned to Kaiden. His face was pale and his eyes were full of concern as he stroked her hair behind her ear.