Chapter 12: Just Us, For Now

"Hold on." Toni stopped walking as Cheryl was about to enter her car. "Wait."

"What?"

"Uh, are you sure that you're fine going to my place?" Toni asked, hesitating. "Like, you know, you hate the south, so... Just to be frank."

Cheryl sighed. "To be frank as well, why are you always concerned about what I feel? It isn't your job to make me feel guilty for bitching out everyday."

Toni was speechless for a minute. "That wasn't my intention? I'm genuinely concerned."

"I'll let it slide this time. My arm needs a compress right now... We can buy, I won't mind, but you offered, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah. " Toni licked her bottom lip, anxious. She was just impulsive, she didn't meet to invite her over. Too risky. "Just follow my direction."

Southside

"So, we're here." Toni led the way, towards her trailer. "Sorry, it isn't that spacious." She opened the door and let Cheryl walk in first. "Go, take a seat. I'll prepare the compress. I'll be back."

Cheryl liked the setting of Toni's trailer; neat and tidy. There wasn't much of accessories on the wall, but the shelves were loaded with books. Mostly, law-related. That caught her curiosity, so she stood up and approached that specific shelf. She read the titles through her head and she was interested enough to take one crime-subjected book. 

"Cheryl, here's your—" Toni caught her flipping a leaf of the thickest book. "Uh..."

"Didn't know you're into solving crimes?" Cheryl looked at her. "We have the same taste... I have a couple of books, like those," she looked at the shelf, "but not quite. These are far more interesting. Where'd you get this?"

Toni sat on the couch, to her left, anxious. She had to be quick in thinking of an alibi. "Uh... Those are from my grandfather. I took it with me here. I read it when I'm bored, I don't really, like, you know, dig into it." She was basically cursing in her mind—what a wrong move to do. She knew Peaches would scold her when she learned about inviting her over.

Cheryl hummed, closing the book. "I'll handle this... You can go do your thing, I'll be fine." She took the compress from Toni's hand with a tender smile. "Get your stuff outside."

"Yeah, uh, I was about to say that." Toni stood up and walked out of the trailer to get her box. Quite heavy but tolerable. She carried it back inside and placed it on the kitchen counter. "Shit." She hissed, petting her leg. For sure, the stitch popped.

"You good?"

Toni turned around and saw Cheryl walking in. 

"I heard you hissing on my way here." Cheryl moved closer and placed the compress on the counter. "Your leg's bleeding." She looked worried. "You shouldn't have pushed yourself to do these things."

"No, no, I'm okay. It'll be fine." Toni faked a smile. "Are you staying over?"

Cheryl concealed a smile. "Is that an offer? 'Cause, why not?"

Toni looked away, feeling her cheeks heat up. "Uh... If you'd like to, then yeah. I'll show you my room. Follow me." She endured the sting her leg had and walked Cheryl to her room. She opened the door and said, "That small door is my closet, that one is the small bathroom. Feel at home. Be comfortable."

Cheryl stepped in, looking around. "Your place is cozy. I like it."

Toni hummed. "So, I'll be out here. Be comfortable moving around and get some sleep."