Chapter 39: Reconstruction and Working Through

Mini A/N – Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you enjoy this chapter. Think of it as...my gift to you for the holidays ☺️ Other than that, I hope you all enjoy your day! I love you — and I mean it!

New "acronyms" used in this chapter.

(y/ln) = your last name

       You rolled over in bed upon hearing your phone ring. You groaned, reaching for the loud device to cease the noise coming from it. Once your fingers came in contact with the smooth screen, you slid it towards the edge of the nightstand until you could get a good grip on it. "Hello," you said, groggily answering the phone. No one replied. You turned the screen towards your face, squinting through the bright light to see you hadn't answered the phone call in time. You rolled your eyes, sitting up in the bed for a sharp pain to go through your abdomen. "Son of a bitch...," you mumbled, dragging yourself out of bed completely. You stretched, inhaling deeply before scratching your head. You rubbed your stomach to try and ease your pain, grabbing your phone to take into the bathroom with you. Your legs carried you to the sink, and you splashed your face with cold water. You hummed at the sensation, doing it a couple more times before using the toilet and then washing your hands. You looked back at your phone screen to see that Steven had called you and that it was, in fact, not early in the morning at all. It was twelve fifty-two in the afternoon. Being around your cousins always drained you emotionally and physically, especially if it was for a long time. You loved them, but they could be a little much for you sometimes. You stretched again, clicking the missed call notification as you walked out of your room and into the kitchen.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Stevie, you called?"
"Yeah! I wanted to check on you since we haven't spoken in a while, and I also was excited to tell you that it's snowing!"
"In Beach City," you asked, putting your phone on speaker so you could walk to the fridge.
"I know, isn't it great? It's not snowing that much, but it's still something. Is it snowing in Empire City," Steven asked excitedly. You chuckled, taking a sip of water from the glass in your hand.
"I'm not sure, Steven. I haven't been outside since Thanksgiving."
"That's an entire week, (y/n)!"
"Yeah, I know", you said with a laugh. "I haven't had much of a reason to go out, ya know? Everything I need is inside."
"I guess", Steven said cutely, obviously pouting on the other side of the phone. "I couldn't imagine not going outside at least once a day."
"I'm sure you couldn't. You've lived in Beach City all your life, and it's always nice there."
"Then...how about you come back?" You sighed softly, leaning against the kitchen island.
"I — I don't know, Steven. I feel a lot better than before, that's for sure, but I don't think I'm ready to come back and face everyone just yet. Soon though, okay?"
"Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't mean to rush you. I just miss you a lot, that's all..." You chuckled, smiling softly.
"I miss you too, Stevie. I'll talk to you soon though, okay?"
"Okay", Steven said in a sad tone. You giggled, drinking more of your water.
"Have fun in the snow! Maybe I'll make it back in time to build a snowman with you." Steven giggled excitedly on the other end.
"Okay! Bye, (y/n)!"
"Bye, Steven", you said with a soft smile, hanging up the phone. You exhaled slowly, drinking the rest of the water in your glass. It didn't ease your stomach pain as you had thought, but it was worth a shot. I'll take some medicine after my shower, you thought, grabbing your phone from the kitchen island. You then dragged your feet along the floor towards the hallway, going into your room again. You gathered up your clothes to take into the bathroom with you, hearing the sound of the front door opening.
"Oh, daughter", your mom's voice rang through the penthouse. You snickered, closing the drawer that was open in front of you.
"Yes, Mom", you called back, heading into the bathroom.
"Today is December third! You know what that means", she sang, walking into your room.
"Uh...no. I don't know what that means", you said, placing your things down by the sink.
"We're a day closer to Christmas! Aren't you excited?"
"Excited to go to a party? Never have been a day in my life", you said with a laugh, turning on the showerhead. Your mom groaned, falling against the other bed in the room in front of the bathroom door.
"What would make it more fun for you?"
"If you didn't get drunk", you said sarcastically, pushing the door closed gently so you could undress.
"Oh, come on", your mother laughed. "I don't get that wasted!"
"That's cap, Mom, and you know it", you shouted back, stepping into the glass prism.
"What if I invited ViVi? Would you be excited to go then?"
"You can do that", you asked, shouting over the shower water.
"I can do what I want, darling, I'm rich!" You laughed, grabbing the bottle of shower gel from the rack.
"Not sure that's how that works, Mom, but okay! If you want, you can invite her."
"I think I'll invite Kehlani too, but only for Millie. I want to dress the little doll up again", she said lovingly, making you freeze in place.
"Uh...K-Kehlani? That's what you said, right?"
"Yep. If I want Millie, I have to invite her mother. It's only right. What? Something wrong, dear?"
"No...it's just — Kehlani and I haven't been on talking terms since the Fourth of July", you said as you rinsed off, noticing that blood was rinsing off of you as well. You looked over the old cuts along your wrists and thighs, but none of which were open. You then looked down further, rolling your eyes. Well, at least the reason for my bleeding isn't my fault this time. This would also explain the stomach ache...great. You cleaned yourself up once again before stepping out of the shower.
"Why haven't you two talked since then? Did something happen", your mom asked from the other side of the door. Her voice sounded clearer due to the showerhead being turned off.
"Well...she kinda tried to poison Jasper", you explained, beginning to get dressed.
"What", your mom screamed, opening the bathroom door. You pulled your shirt down quickly, covering yourself.
"Mom!"
"Oh, please, you came out of me. But what's this about her poisoning, Jasper? When did this happen?"
"Fourth of July night. ViVi saw Kehlani slip something into Jasper's drink. I confronted her about it when we made it back home, and she confessed. It was just a hallucinogenic drug, but since Jasper isn't human, I don't think just one of those pills would have affected her at all." Your mother hummed after you finished your explanation, her hand on her chin.
"And you weren't mad at her?"
"Oh, I was furious. I don't want to lose her as a friend, but I told her I needed time to rethink our relationship after what she did. I understand that she let her emotions control her actions —"
"Happens to the best of us", your mom added. You nodded, walking out into the room.
" — but of course I wasn't going to let it slide as if nothing happened. So, I haven't spoken to her since then."
"Well, the way I see it, you've already forgiven her, haven't you?" You shrugged nonchalantly, sitting on the edge of your bed.
"I suppose so. She's been such a good friend to me all these years, so this behavior surprised me."
"Jasper is the type of woman you'd do anything for after one glance, sweetheart", your mom said with a chuckle. "So it must have been rough for Kehlani to realize that the only person Jasper wants is you." You blushed, pressing your lips together.
"I mean, I guess..."
"But she has to forgive herself, ya know? So I say you should call her and talk to her. Did she apologize to Jasper?"
"Yeah, she did. But Jasper didn't seem to think much of it at all."
"Did she apologize to you?" You nodded, looking back up at your mom. "Well then, that's a start. Come on." You stood up, following your mom into the living room. She sat down on the couch and you took a seat next to her, relaxing into the cushions. You sighed contently, staring at your blank phone screen before turning the device on. You went to your contacts, scrolling down to the letter K. You inhaled and exhaled slowly, clicking the first name in the list. You then held your phone up to your ear, listening to the sound of the dial tone for a while until someone picked up.
"Hello?" You smiled softly at the sound of Millie's cute voice.
"Millie, what are you doing with your mommy's phone?" The little girl gasped loudly, screaming a second later.
"Mommy! Mommy, (y/n) on the phone!" The toddler then got quiet before saying, "What?" You raised an eyebrow, wondering why she hadn't already handed the phone to Kehlani. "Oh — oh! Um...(y/n), mommy said she not here right now, so you have to call later."
"Oh, really", you said, chuckling.
"Yeah...but you can still talk to me!" You laughed at the excitement in Millie's voice, sighing softly. "Can I talk to Jasper, too?"
"I'm sorry baby, but Jasper isn't with me right now", you said gently, sinking into the couch cushions. Jesus, my stomach is killing me.
"Aw, why not?"
"I would much rather explain to you in person, okay? So how about this? Since your mommy doesn't want to talk to me right now, she can talk to me on Christmas Day. My mom, DD, remember?" Millie hummed in agreement on the other end. "Well, my mom is going to this big Christmas party and she wants me to go with her. So, what I'll do is ask her to invite you and your mom and we can talk then. How does that sound?"
"Ooh! That sounds good! I'll go tell, Mommy. Bye, (y/n)!" You chuckled as Millie hung up the phone. You then placed the device down beside you, sighing as you leaned back into the couch.
"So", your mom questioned, nudging your shoulder with hers.
"Millie answered the phone saying Kehlani wasn't there at the moment", you said with a chuckle. "I think she's scared to speak to me."
"But you're getting somewhere, no?" You nodded, smiling as you looked down at your hands.
"Thanks, Ma."
"Aw, you're welcome sweetie", she said hugging you. "I'm sure you would have done it on your own anyway, but I just gave you the extra push." You chuckled, kissing her cheek as you stood up and stretched. "Now, if you would excuse me, I require a shower. I might have used a little too much glitter last night for my show and I'm sure it's in places you'd rather I not name."
"And...that's my cue to go downstairs and talk to Miguel. Bye", you said, walking across the living room to the front door. Your mother let out a boisterous laugh, her voice still being heard in the hallway.