Chapter 8 - The Auction

Rey, Chewbacca, Finn, Hob and the droids got in their ship and took off towards Zygerria.

"Where are we going?" said Hob.

Finn spoke first, "Hob, I know what you are thinking, you are going to be OK, we just need you to follow us for a while, then we will help you get settled into your new, free life."

"Are we going to the Resistance base?" said Hob.

"Let's worry about that later Finn", said Rey. "For now let's focus on the auction."

Finn put his hand on Hob's shoulder, "Hob will be a great Resistance fighter! Right now we are low in numbers, and if the First Order finds us we'll run again or die, but we have freedom! You can get a job, maybe help with fighter repairs. And you can date, yes...um, we have cute Resistance girls, I'll introduce you to a girl named Rose."

"Finn, I thought you and Rose...um, R2, can you do some research on this auction? How does it work? How do we bid?" said Rey.

Finn interrupted, "I heard about them, from trooper friends who patrolled the auctions. It is not great. If you do not provide the funds after winning, they chop your hand off."

"Do we have anything of value?" said Rey.

"We have 3 droids, that's about it", said Finn.

C-3PO spoke. "I haven't been with you very long, but I much prefer being with you than becoming a slave protocol droid, thank you very much. Perhaps you can sell this one." C-3PO motioned towards R2-D2.

"3PO, you can't sell your best friend because you don't remember them", said Finn.

R2-D2 bumped C-3PO, then he turned and played a video message against the ship wall.

In the message, a figure in white spoke, "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now, he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and fear my mission to return with you to Alderaan has failed. I have fed information vital to the survival of all free planets into the memory of systems of this R-2 unit...my father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour ... You must help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope."

R2-D2 turned his dome slowly to C-3PO.

"Who is this girl? We should help her!" said C-3PO.

Finn said "Was that Leia when she was young? She was beautiful."

"She still is", said Rey.

"3PO, I think R2 is trying to jog your memory, I think you've probably seen this before" said Finn.

"There is something familiar about it, but I do not recall".

R2-D2 whirred sadly, again.

****************************

The auction was in progress when Rey, Chewbacca, Finn, and Hob arrived. BB-8 waited in the ship. There were hundreds of people of all races around, about half seemed to be paying close attention to the auction, and others seemed to be enjoying the spectacle, or vendors hawking goods. You could tell who the slave masters were, angry, with the aura of superiority. Some were well dressed, some were disheveled. Sad and helpless looking slaves were being paraded on stage. Rey yearned to help them, but resisted the urge.

"Oh my, what a spectacle!" said C-3PO.

Chewbacca growled and Rey replied. "Yes Chewbacca, I know you were captive like them, and I'd like to send a Star Destroyer crashing into this whole event too. But we have a mission."