19th October, 2020

19th October, 2020
Lekki
8:00 am.

Jóke

I stared at Maami for the umpteenth time before leaving. I dropped a note on her bedside table and bowed my head.

I turned and left before she could wake up. I had my bag which had my tooth brush and some other essentials.

I met Bimbo at the Lekki bridge. She was still shaken a bit by Emmanuel's death.

"Babe." I called her and hugged her.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine. You?"

"I'm okay." She said and smiled. "I was at Emmanuel's house. His mom is still shaken a bit."

"I understand." I said and hugged her again.

"I wish I had known of his arrival sooner. It was just so sudden." She said and I pat her back.

"Everything will be fine. Let's just hope that our work won't be in vain." I said and released her.

"How can they change the name of SARS to SWAT and expect us to sit down?" Someone asked.

"We no go gree oh. We no gree. End SARS, End Swat, we no go gree."

The song began and the march started with people holding up the Nigerian flag.

"End Bad Governance."

"Remove Jibril from the seat."

"Bad people are ruling us."

"We can't keep on suffering."

"It is better you hear us." A lady's voice was heard. "You can't keep pretending like you're deaf. You sit in your big offices and eat the money. You let these officers who are meant to protect us to kill us."

"We have had enough. Up to our neck. My name is Zainab Kabiru. If you like send people to me to attack me, Allah that I serve will not let me down. The God we serve will listen to our cries."

"Yes!"

"God is on our side. If Nigeria has to change this way, Nigeria must change. Nigeria must change. What do we want?"

"End SARS."

"What do we want?"

"End SARS."

We were at the Toll gate and chanting the words, End SARS, End Bad governance.

I took out my phone from my pocket and I saw Maami's message.

Maami
I have had enough Jóke.
I will tell your siblings about this.

I sighed and shook my head.

Me
I'm sorry Maami.
You can tell them if you want.
I won't be back tonight.
Take care.

I turned off my phone and held unto Bimbo's hand as we kept marching and singing out.